We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

About The Author...writer's block

Fellow writers,

I'm 99.8% ready to upload and publish my book, when I got to working on the back matter.  All was well until I got to the 'About The Author' page.  I have writer's block.  I hear the songs. "you're so vain, you probably think this song to about you..." lol.  Which this section is.  So how you you puff yourself up without puffing yourself up.

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Give a few basic facts. If you like javelin-catching while battling ogres, it's a factoid the reader may enjoy.

I read one once where the author mentioned being born in a galaxy far, far away, or was that my mother?
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    I too am not at all good at talking about myself. In fact I am often of the opinion that it's no one else's business. Some writers pay people to do it for them  :)
    A sample in case you just don't want to write about yourself. Make changes as needed.

After a suitable time spent in the egg, John Doe developed a tooth and freed himself from the shell. Said process took a while as the shell was large and calcified while the tooth was small.

After exiting his progress was as speedy as that of a three-toed sloth, but once he was able to run he began to do things like climb trees and leap from limb to limb in search of the perfect sunset.

John now writes about whatever tickles his fancy or captures his attention.
  • Piers Anthony, the fantasy writer, had a great blurb. It went something along the lines of,

Piers Anthony Dillingham Jacobs was born in the UK. Once he was old enough, he corrected that mistake and emigrated to Florida. Parents were required to name children within three days, and Piers' mother, at wits end, simply threw together all the names she could think of. In order to keep librarians sane, Piers uses only the first two as his writing name...

I've probably made corned-beef hash out of it, but it's rather good. Talented writer, that one, though of course, completely insane. Wonderful way of getting into a character's head, and a great talent for characters in general. I still remember Millie the Ghost from the Castle Roogna series... One of the things I learned from his writing was that when you set a puzzle for the reader, you need to supply the answer. But I digest.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    I have to be honest, when it comes to fiction, I have no need to know about the writer's background, but when it comes to factual books I like to know if the writer has the credentials to know what they are writing about. Having said that, many fictionalists have web sites anyway nowadays, and wiki sections.
  • Thank you all for your input.  I got unblocked :)
    Congrats and happy trails on getting a step closer to the finish.