I am given multiple sizes for my cover, please help!

Hello there,

I was re-checking the lulu book sizing and I think I am puzzled with the sizing. In Microsoft Word I have 249 pages, but of course when printed they are going to be back-to-back so I divide 249 by 2 right? So that leaves me 124.5 so I have rounded up to 126. 

So when I enter 127 into the box on the "Choose Your Project Options" page it gives me the following...

Spine Width: 0.800cm
Cover Size: 31.06 x 21.622575cm
Spine Begins: 15.132275cm

Yet when I get to the one-piece cover maker, it gives me a different set of measurement's...

Spine width: 45 Postscript points wide (1.587 cm) (188 px)
Spine begins: 429 Postscript points (15.132 cm) (1788 px) from the left.
Total cover width: 903 X 613 Postscript points (31.852 cm X 21.623 cm) (3763px X 2554px)

So which do I use?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Usually the ones in the Cover Designer. (It's often a good idea to take a test run through a Wizard set on Private.) Possibly what the latter is showing you is the dimensions allowing for the extra needed to aid binding of a hardback. I am not sure if the calculator allows for people entering the actual number of leaves in to it. Just try the total page count.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• So I should go with 

Spine width:
     45 Postscript points wide (1.587 cm) (188 px) 
    Spine begins: 429 Postscript points (15.132 cm) (1788 px) from the left. 
    Total cover width: 903 X 613 Postscript points (31.852 cm X 21.623 cm) (3763px X 2554px)
    See what works is the simplest answer :-)

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Sounds like a plan, a good friend is making a one-piece cover, so I shall use the info that the cover maker is giving me. Once uploaded I guess it shall say if its okay or not?
    The Wizard will allow you to Preview the Print Ready PDF, but the final test is to actually buy and view a Proof. Can I ask you why you are using a one piece cover?

• It was suggested that it was easier? What would you suggest? 
    Hrmm I just pasted a link to Lulu's Cover advice, but apparently it has to be 'Approved' the link may now appear twice.

It's far from easy getting things positioned exactly where you need them to be, on the spine for example. There's no real reason to use the one-piece cover one unless you want a logo or something on the spine, or a dustjacket. All I do is create a front image and a back image, the same size of my pages, and upload them to a 'normal' wizard. I then 'drag' them to cover the entire front and back in turn. (Delete any default text the Wizard has placed because you can have the text included with your artwork.) Use the eyedropper tool to colour the spine to match the front and back. One other advantage of the normal wizard it is will auto-place the ISBN barcode on the back. The Advanced on will not. When it converts to a Print Ready PDF it will create a one-piece cover.

• That is fantastically helpful, I appreciate it, truly! The reason I am doing the one-piece cover is that...

I have a friend doing the cover and it's a weathered book design, so I wanted that very same pattern on the spine. Also on the front, back and spine of the book is custom font and graphic.
  • So, to back up, the page count is not divided, as pages and sheets are different for printers. This is likely why you're seeing different dimensions.

As Kevin said, use the Cover Step dimensions, as these are specifically based off the file you've uploaded and that we'll be using to make the book.
    Ah well, it's unfortunate that the normal Cover Wizards won't let you do much to the spine. Although the Print Ready PDF can be useful to download because it does create a one piece cover. If you create art as I suggested, with borders around, then that will give you a good indication where the spine fold is. Although in my experience the art is often off-set to one side in the PR PDFs.