What fonts should I use for a Science Fiction book?

Hi, so I'm knew to Lulu, and I'm looking to publish, just one book for my friend as a birthday gift. I've decided to use the Digest size of book. It's a Science Fiction book which she wrote herself on Wattpad, and I want to get a copy of it published as motivation to her dream of becoming an author. And because this is a surprise, I can't really ask her what she wants in her book. So I'm wondering what fonts should I use for the cover, title headings (like for the Chapter), and for the text itself. I did ask her some questions, trying to make sure she doesn't suspect anything as her birthday is still a long long way to go. She said for the title heading, "something fancier that you see in fantasy books", but idk if it would suit a Science Fiction book? And then for the text, she just said the standard text they use, so that would probably be Times New Roman? I'm no expert on this stuff, so I'd like some help from the community. ^.^ thanks.

Comments

• Ron MillerRon Miller Bibliophile
    The main text should be something readable, such as Times New Roman, Caslon, Bookman or Garamond. You do not want to get science-fictiony with the text. As for the rest, there are a lot of possibilities: http://www.1001fonts.com/science-fiction-fonts.html I don't know what sort of science fiction story she has written so I don't know what typeface would be most appropriate.

Chapter headings are not particularly critical, but you need to be careful with the cover. It should convey the character and theme of the book but it still needs to be readable. (I would also suggest that whatever you choose for the cover, you use the same typeface for the chapter titles for the sake of consistency.)

• The main text should be something readable, such as Times New Roman, Caslon, Bookman or Garamond. You do not want to get science-fictiony with the text. As for the rest, there are a lot of possibilities: http://www.1001fonts.com/science-fiction-fonts.html I don't know what sort of science fiction story she has written so I don't know what typeface would be most appropriate.

Chapter headings are not particularly critical, but you need to be careful with the cover. It should convey the character and theme of the book but it still needs to be readable. (I would also suggest that whatever you choose for the cover, you use the same typeface for the chapter titles for the sake of consistency.)

Oh okay, thanks for the help, I'll go check it out!

If anyone wants to go check her book out it's at this link: www.wattpad.com/story/114861026-push-the-limits?utm_source=widget&utm_medium=link_copy
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Properly formatting a print book is also important.

https://wordribbon.tips.net/T005984_Better-Looking_Full_Justification_for_Paragraphs.html

https://wordribbon.tips.net/T008139_Getting_Rid_of_Choppiness_in_Justified_Text.html

If you use one of the non-default fonts consider embedding the fonts in use before uploading to convert or when producing your PDF for upload.
    IssieX03 said:
    Hi, so I'm knew to Lulu, and I'm looking to publish, just one book for my friend as a birthday gift. I've decided to use the Digest size of book. It's a Science Fiction book which she wrote herself on Wattpad, and I want to get a copy of it published as motivation to her dream of becoming an author. And because this is a surprise, I can't really ask her what she wants in her book. So I'm wondering what fonts should I use for the cover, title headings (like for the Chapter), and for the text itself. I did ask her some questions, trying to make sure she doesn't suspect anything as her birthday is still a long long way to go. She said for the title heading, "something fancier that you see in fantasy books", but idk if it would suit a Science Fiction book? And then for the text, she just said the standard text they use, so that would probably be Times New Roman? I'm no expert on this stuff, so I'd like some help from the community. ^.^ thanks.

• I'd advise against Times New Roman, it's meant for narrow newspaper columns. Garamond seems to be the choice for a lot of people. 

For the cover font, here's a link with suggestions and samples of fonts that work for various genres. http://diybookcovers.com/BestFontsByGenre.pdf
  • I'd advise against Times New Roman, it's meant for narrow newspaper columns. Garamond seems to be the choice for a lot of people. 

For the cover font, here's a link with suggestions and samples of fonts that work for various genres. http://diybookcovers.com/BestFontsByGenre.pdf
  • TNR was created to make words easier to read by one of the first newspapers, and became a standard, and is still in common usage. Many other font kinds are derived from it. Garamond is, but pnt for pnt Garamond is slightly larger and 'bolder'. I myself use it.

As to book covers. They can be a lot more 'arty'. but it still helps if the text can be read, other than that there's no real rules in regard to what fonts are used on covers. Some use no fonts at all, the text also being art. But it is important that the blurb on the back cover is readable.

How Do

TNR was created to make words easier to read by one of the first newspapers, and became a standard, and is still in common usage. Many other font kinds are derived from it. Garamond is, but pnt for pnt Garamond is slightly larger and 'bolder'. I myself use it.

Well...Garamond was originally designed in the 16th century. Modern versions of the typeface derive from that. Times New Roman, on the other hand, was designed in 1931.

Garamond is usually my typeface of choice.

As to book covers. They can be a lot more 'arty'. but it still helps if the text can be read, other than that there's no real rules in regard to what fonts are used on covers. Some use no fonts at all, the text also being art. But it is important that the blurb on the back cover is readable.

You are right. Whatever imagery is used on a book cover, if the title is not readable the whole point of the cover is largely lost.

And you are also right in saying that the title can be part of the artwork and not any specific typeface. A friend of mine, Stephen Hickman, has painted hundreds of book covers and often includes the title within the art. Here are two examples---

• Often the word design and layout on book covers is also individually copyrighted and even registered as a logo.
    How Do
    Often the word design and layout on book covers is also individually copyrighted and even registered as a logo.
    Just to be pendantic, you cannot copyright a logo. You can only trademark it. 

To quote the US Copyright Office: "How do I copyright a name, title, slogan, or logo? Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks... In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark."
    Just to be non-English, a heraldic device may also have protection when it comes to images created from the description though not when it comes to the actual description. Still not a good idea to use a device not-your-own without permission.
    Often the word design and layout on book covers is also individually copyrighted and even registered as a logo.
    Just to be pendantic, you cannot copyright a logo. You can only trademark it. 

To quote the US Copyright Office: "How do I copyright a name, title, slogan, or logo? Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks... In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark."

• "Just to be pendantic, you cannot copyright a logo. You can only trademark it." 

To be perhaps even more pedantic, I said register a logo, not copyright it.  :-)

How Do

"Just to be pendantic, you cannot copyright a logo. You can only trademark it." 

To be perhaps even more pedantic, I said register a logo, not copyright it.  :-)

Actually, you said “copyrighted and even registered as a logo.”
  • Yes, the design can be copyrighted in the manner of art, and can even be registered as a logo. I don't get the problem with that statement?

How Do
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian

I like this one... I'd definitely give the book a second look... But I have to confess that I don't see how the helmet-bubble could possibly seal effectively so long as she had that insanely-long queue wrapped around her neck.

I know: Too  much attention to detail... LOL...
    Check out more of Steve's artwork. I think you'll like it! 
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    I've read books in this series.

Interesting. I didn't know who did the covers. Great work.
    I read several of those myself. Liked the cover art as well.
    Skoob_ym said:
    I've read books in this series.

Interesting. I didn't know who did the covers. Great work.