I need help how can I get a book to make sense?

English is my first language and I am struggling please help me thank you :smile:

Comments

• Ron MillerRon Miller Bibliophile
    Struggling in what way? Can you post a sample of what you have written?
  • here is I struggling with

Ten years ago, a young boy name Malcolm and his sister Amy lived in Hut Village with their father. Their father taught Malcolm to became a swordsman. There also have been stories of monsters living in the hollow woods in which their father has also tell them never go there. But, that next day will change. A group of ninjas clan

came to the village and started to take over it and they wanted Malcolm’s father, Dragon* who is a very powerful swordsman. Where is Dragon now! I don’t know?

Said a villager. In addition the ninja killed the villager in cold blood. Now tell us where Dragon at! the mayor step in and said Dragon is an another village he will return tomorrow. Okay well there, we will inform this our Leader and we will stay here until he get's back.

*Dragon is Malcolm's Father Name and to confuse with nothing

Thank you

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    Is this Abd Tumeh who used to post on the old forum?
    My friend, I believe that to write well you must read well. What are some books you've read recently?
  • nothing yet 
    I think that reading more books would be a big help to your writing skills.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Writing is like any other skill where talent or lack thereof can make or break the end result. Think in terms of cooking, crafting furniture, or building a house, certain steps have to be followed or the result can and usually will be a mess.

Cliff's suggestion regarding reading would be a good start along with at least a short course on basic composition and grammar.
  • in other words, by reading my short story the grammar is getting better?
    and yes I agree with you :smile:

Since I have no other example of your writing to compare it with, in other words in reading your short story I'd have to say your grammar has a way to go.
    in other words, by reading my short story the grammar is getting better?
    and yes I agree with you :smile:

But the best cure for this would be if you were to read more books, or even magazines. Pay attention to how those writers compose their sentences and their paragraphs.
    Your grammar is getting better...but you need to work even harder at it. But perhaps even more important than that is the suggestion that everyone has agreed on: you need to read more. And pay attention to what you are reading!
  • I think you may also be on the wrong side of show not tell, perhaps without even realising it. Take a look at your opening line. That is a highly condensed short piece of narrative; the situation described would have been better if handled more comprehensively, show your readers the village, take them on a walk round, with dialogue flowing between various characters, in among this you can then mention timelines. Put simply, more depth is needed, and this can be achieved by showing, complete with action and dialogue. Best of luck.
  • TumehbooksTumehbooks Reader
    edited January 26
    speaking of which I did read this novel when I was only 13 years called the The Man who love clowns. but for now I thinking about reading Narina or whatever how you spell it I thinking about reading the whole series from first tor last. 
    speaking of which I did read this novel when I was only 13 years called the The Man who love clowns. but for now I thinking about reading Narina or whatever how you spell it I thinking about reading the whole series from first tor last. 
    That's a good idea! You should be reading as many books by as many different authors as often as you can. 
    Would that be "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C. S. Lewis?

You might also try the work of Alistair MacLean, Andre Norton, Robert Heinlein, Robert Silverberg, Ian Fleming, Homer, Sun Tzu, and Harold Keith among many others.
    A variety of differing writing styles should lend perspective.
    Sometimes we need to walk before we run.

Narnia is a wonderful place to start. My Favorite in that series was "A Horse and His Boy." Of course, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is a classic -- wonderful wonderful book. And who can forget "The Magician's Nephew?"

An excellent series to start with. I would encourage you to pay attention to certain things. Notice how Lewis, the writer, always makes things feel familiar. He talks about a room, and you know what that kind of a room would be like. He talks about a person, and you think of people you know who are like that.

Also, notice how his characters develop and change. They learn things, and they grow as they get older. They have a very realistic way of growing. Ideas they didn't understand become clear to them.

A person could become a very good writer by learning from C.S. Lewis. I still love to read his books, and I've been a fan of his writing since the 1970s.
  • The OP's name rings a bell. Can I suggest also reading books about English? One can read as many fiction books as possible, but the best way to learn how to write English is to, well, learn it.  :-)

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/content

http://www.talkenglish.com/grammar/grammar.aspx

How Do. Take a seat.
  • I am an addicted reader as well as writer and I would like to make your sense by referring you The Pillars of the Earth this is an exceptional plus a historical novel by Ken Follett an it was publicly released in 1989 and this is the first historical novel which was read by me.
    Thanks
    Best Regards
    Daisy CEO at Best Essay Help UK Agency

• You offer Essay help? Oh.
    How Do. Take a seat.