We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Is it possible to sell PDF+print book in one (discounted) bundle ?

Hello everyone and happy new year !

What I want to do is offer the possibility to buy both the PDF and the hard copy in the same bundle (at a discount price). This is a very common practice in indie table-top RPG, but for all I know, it is not possible on Lulu. Quite frankly, if it is not possible on Lulu, it would push me to look for another print-on-demand provider, this seems to me to be a central feature.

Thanks a lot for your time and answers !

Answers

• In my experience with this kind of feature, it is often included within the hard copy as a download code.
    Setting up that is simple, just create a PDF version of the book, list it in Direct Access for free, and include the URL (or a shortened URL) within the book. Once a buyer gets their hard copy, they can use the URL to download the PDF.
    In terms of actually bundling sales, we don't have that kind of feature. I actually couldn't find other print-on-demand sites that offer a store front like ours and have bundling with special pricing. If you mean something similar to the way Amazon lists "items often bought together" we do list your similar works on the sales page.

• Thanks for your answer. I have already considered this solution, which is not satisfactory for many reasons, the main one being that customers cannot enjoy the PDF immediatly (and not wait for the book to be delivered) which is one of the central reason to buy both of them in rpg communities.

What I have in mind would be what Indie Press Revolution (http://www.indiepressrevolution.com) offers : bundle Print+PDF at a discount with the PDF immediatly at disposal, but with print-on-demand.
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    You do realize you have the capability of creating an automated 'Thank You' note you could put the URL for a Direct Access PDF in?

Then again, since Indie Press Revolution already does what you want you have a venue, though pricing may be a different matter.
    FabienH said:
    Thanks for your answer. I have already considered this solution, which is not satisfactory for many reasons, the main one being that customers cannot enjoy the PDF immediatly (and not wait for the book to be delivered) which is one of the central reason to buy both of them in rpg communities.

What I have in mind would be what Indie Press Revolution (http://www.indiepressrevolution.com) offers : bundle Print+PDF at a discount with the PDF immediatly at disposal, but with print-on-demand.

• The 'Thank you' note is the same for all projects, so it would not help me target those who bought a specific book. :smile:
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Since you have that many RPG books, the 'Thank You' note would be a good way to have purchasers email you for the Direct Access URL for a particular book: "When you reply you will get the URL for the PDF specific to your purchase."

In the description for each book you can make it clear to reply to the generic email to get the URL.
    FabienH said:
    The 'Thank you' note is the same for all projects, so it would not help me target those who bought a specific book. :smile:

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Having the address of a discounted item listed in a printed book is a good idea and one can use Lulu to set up 'Direct' links to content created just for that purpose. However I am not sure why it's a disadvantage having to wait for the printed book to be delivered before they can gain the discount. They don't take that long to arrive. To be frank, speaking for myself, I would have no need for both the printed and the PDF. The PDF is possibly of greater use because it can be downloaded right away. It can be read on all portable devices, and can even be printed off. It can also be sold for far less than a Printed copy because it is not Print On Demand, or any form of book printing.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.