About Author Spotlights

So, here's a bit of a dilemma: The new forum is a bit less friendly for lengthy signatures, and I'd like to abbreviate mine. I was thinking that one way to do that would be to use a single link to something like a spotlight page instead of a link for every book. At the same time, I'd like to keep the "Og Keep" books (religious content) from the "Cliff Robison" books (mostly murder mystery, crime drama or adventure stories). Some of them cross over, such as Bell, Book, and Bullets, but that's another story. I also write some non-fiction how-to, and so forth.

Anyway, how does a spotlight page work? Do you have control of which books show up and which don't? My original hesitation on the spotlight thing was that I didn't want readers of Caveman Apologetics to be spammed with Hotel Maintenance, which are interest groups with a relatively small overlap.

Is it possible to have more than one? What seem to be the pros and cons (or in our cases, the prose and cons) of spotlight pages? Would I be better off setting up "OgKeep.Com" and "CliffRobison.Net" and then just linking to them in the signature?

Comments

• The spotlight pages are account specific, so one per account. In general, the spotlights are clunky and need a redesign, but our development teams are mired in site maintenance and building out other features.
    One reason we don't put more emphasis on the spotlights is that a lot of authors will create their own domain to sell through and just link to Lulu for sales.
    I do have advice for consolidating your signature - you can embed the links so the word 'ebook' and 'paperback' become the links and the URLs are hidden. That would slim down the signature line significantly. See screen shot below for the button location:

• I'll give that a shot. Or, if raw HTML will work, I can encode them that way.
  • I think raw HTML should work. I've used it to format some articles in our Knowledge base with moderate success.
  • Okay, so raw HTML didn't work, and UBB Code didn't work, at least not in the signatures. So I spent a little time making a free site on Wix. If it works out well, I'll look into a domain name, or possibly two or three, that I can point at it.
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Cliff,

I've been doing some research on setting up an author website and there are some low-cost options. A domain name should could from about $5 to $60 (depending on provider, extension, and fees) with monthly charges from 'free for life' on up.

The one person who did reply to a direct query stated it does pay for itself.

Having taken a look at Dyson Logos' site, I would imagine his pays for itself as well.
    Skoob_ym said:
    Okay, so raw HTML didn't work, and UBB Code didn't work, at least not in the signatures. So I spent a little time making a free site on Wix. If it works out well, I'll look into a domain name, or possibly two or three, that I can point at it.

• I've set up a couple of websites in the past, for fun and profit. Used some free sites and some paid hosting as well. One very simple "brochure" site that I set up for a friendly competitor when I was in the telecom business looked like this:

http://www.montereybaytelephone.com/

It's important to remember that having a site doesn't guarantee traffic, and that having traffic doesn't guarantee sales. On the other hand, a website is good when you want to tell people how to reach you easily: Just go to my website, it's blahblah.com.

I've also found that it's good to use dot-com when possible, and avoid hyphens. Short and easy to remember is good. Also, you need good graphics. My artistic failings are part of what got me out of free-lance web design.