Just thinking. . .

Any chance of a fun thread? Again going into reminiscing mode, in the early days we had jokes, add a few words or whatever to jointly create a story, and other things not directly related to publishing on Lulu. This new set up, while not quite like the original set up, has a freer, friendlier feel to it and I think if fun and games could be introduced in some small measure, it would be good.

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    Why not? Most of us do have a life apart from publishing.

I even have a few pics from when it was a cold day in hell; it's been said it will be a cold day in hell before it snows in South Central Texas and it snowed here yesterday.
  • Really? Blimey, the planet's really up the spout if it rains there!

This is what I woke up to this morning. We live on the southern edge of an escarpment.

Normally summer in South Central Texas last about 9 months. I've seen it hit 100 degrees in February, though the norm is April to May. I've seen it hit 113 degrees in October.

22" of rain on average per year here, maybe a snow flurry barely noticed every other year. Ice storms once in a while.

Two inches of snow last night (here) caused work cancellations in San Antonio down the road, where residents are less capable of driving on slush. I was driving on ice and snow-pack decades ago, but I've been around the block and over the hill a time or two.
  • Interesting. Hope everyone stays safe there, such an unusual event, at least by degree.
    The Wife grew up at 5,000' elevation (where it gets nasty cold); I grew up (at least in part) where and when it snowed in late fall, winter, or early spring.

We try to avoid getting out and about where a lot of people have issues driving on rain-wet roads, much less ice or snow. There was a 15 car pile-up reported in SA. As well someone went off-road and into a depression just below the escarpment about a mile from the house. A lot of people just need to slow down when the weather turns foul.

Hopefully I'm not being a bother -- I normally don't get adult convo during the day unless I'm doing the analysis or counseling thing with someone.
  • What happens here is, we get a lot of warnings about only going out on the road if its really urgent, but you do still get the idiots ignoring this.
    Same thing happens here, plus you get those who just can't figure out how to slow down for the conditions. SA metro has about 2,000,000 people, so that's a lot of fender-benders, not counting Hill Country roads.

At any rate, the local mountain lions and wild hogs (foxes, bobcats, coyotes, etc) appear to have survived both the snow and the steering-wheel holders.
  • I'm up for a story. Anyone want to start?

• I'll start...

It snowed in Texas yesterday. It was a cold day in hell indeed.

• "Home from home," said Sergeant Bruce Mackenzie of the Canadian mounted police, seconded to the Texas Rangers in an operation to track down all those involved in a diamond smuggling racket, involving the United States, Canada and Great Britain. "You cowboys think you're tough; then along comes the snow, and everything grinds to a halt."
    Then the leader of the remnants of the Texas Comanche looked at him and said: "Nothing stops us."
  • "So I've heard," said Commander Pincella. "What've you got so far?"

• Mackenzie looked to his Lone Star compadre, who in turn just looked down and shuffled his feet. Mackenzie sighed, looked at Pincella, and said, "Not much really, just a hunch from my Captain back home. He says the local steer market has an unusually high number of Texan steers passing through at the moment, and the owners of the three ranches parading them are all suspected international jewel thieves; nothing's even been proved of course - far too clever. It might be a coincidence, but then again. . . he left the last comment hanging followed by a shrug of the shoulders.
  • Pincella was glad of his last comments. Perfect. They have nothing. "So, what's our next move. We just sit and wait? Mull over our hunches?
    "She really is a bitch," thought Mackenzie.

The leader of the Texas Comanche thought: 'Damn, our horses are dropping hor d'oeurves the size of diamonds and they're worried about steers...'
    He said: "Nope, let's inspect some cattle."
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian
    edited December 2017

In the distance, a thin green line snaked across the desert. It was not desert in the Sahara sense, with sand dunes rolling like slow, dense waves. It was desert in closer to the Sonoran sense: Hot, dry, rocky soil, interspersed with sand and scattered low sagebrush.

Pincella smiled. She knew what the thin green line meant: A narrow draw, where a thin creek had carved itself into the plain. Green meant water, and water meant a place to find signs of travelers.

• Pincella was about to shout 'Wagons roll!" but then changed her mind; she was the only woman in this little posse, and she wasn't about to give the men any opportunity at all to mock her or belittle her.

"Wagons roll!" shouted Mackenzie, while smiling directly at Pincella.

Can he read minds? Pincella said to herself.
  • Smartass. Your wagons will roll once I'm done with you. "We've got work to do," she said deadfaced.

The leader of the Comanche wondered if the others didn't realize how slow a wagon would be when someone was in a hurry. "Do tell, please."
  • (I don't think we're going to get out of this desert! If anyone's waiting for me, best just chip in with what you can, I can't think of how to proceed along the trail.)
  • The grumblings of the humans soon became moot. The animals smelled water, or rather the damp soil around it, and with little regards for the urgings of their riders, began to meander towards the arroyo.

Pincella knew that it was futile to tug the reins, so instead she merely drew her pistol and allowed her gun hand to rest lightly and discreetly behind the pommel of the saddle. An arroyo meant water, and water meant life. But an arroyo was also a good place for an ambush.
  • (I'm losing track: How many characters do we have here? Is Pincella the leader of the comanches?)
  • (I have no idea, but I'm enjoying where this is going. PS. I think she works for the other side.)
     A citizen of the world.

• PSS. It makes me want to read the book. Interesting characters, lost in their own trail.
     A citizen of the world.