Halloween flash fiction contest -- front page of Lulu

Hi, Folks.

 

I happened to note the Halloween Flash fiction contest on the front page as I came in. Open until 10/22. 1500 words or less, usual rules disclaimers, all that.

 

I'm in; thought it might be fun. If anyone else jumps in, post here so we can compare notes later.

Comments

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    I would but my horror stories make others wonder about my sanity or lack thereof.

     

    Enjoy the challenge.


    Skoob_Ym wrote:

    Hi, Folks.

     

    I happened to note the Halloween Flash fiction contest on the front page as I came in. Open until 10/22. 1500 words or less, usual rules disclaimers, all that.

     

    I'm in; thought it might be fun. If anyone else jumps in, post here so we can compare notes later.


     

  • I tossed my hat into the ring two days ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! Smiley Happy

  • As Halloween doesn't exist in France, and takes place when we honour our dead, Anglo-Saxon fiction about this festival has always intrigued me. I read some of it when I was a teenager, and enjoyed it, but I have never felt like writing any.

  • I agree. What is "Halloween fiction"? I think that any definition would be so vague as to include pretty much anything.

  • Glad to hear some folks here are jumping into the writing contest!

    Ron - We're basically looking for anything loosely related to Halloween, from a story that is simply creepy or scary, to one specifically about Halloween itself. We wanted to keep the requirements pretty open, as we haven't run contests like this before and wanted to get as many people involved as possible. If this is a success, I could see us running contests with narrower guidelines in the future.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Would an especially creepy excerpt from an unfinished work count?


    Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Glad to hear some folks here are jumping into the writing contest!

    Ron - We're basically looking for anything loosely related to Halloween, from a story that is simply creepy or scary, to one specifically about Halloween itself. We wanted to keep the requirements pretty open, as we haven't run contests like this before and wanted to get as many people involved as possible. If this is a success, I could see us running contests with narrower guidelines in the future.

     

  • Absolutely!
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Oy vey.

     

    ** Added 15:25 CDT **

     

    All rightey, I skimmed the excerpt then checked the rules.

     

    My selection would be someone's nightmare that's a bit graphic in a pretty horrific manner, featuring a cruel sadistic corpse-husband, murderous in-laws, and a VooDoo practitioner.

     

    I can write horror, but I won't normally think of publishing it. Don't like getting the fish-eye from people.

     

    Would it be possible for someone on staff to look at it and let me know if it's too much?


    Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Absolutely!

     

  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

    I would tend to think that nearly anything reminiscent of Ray Bradbury would fit the bill...

     

    My story was about a young man walking a young lady home past a graveyard.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    This would be more like the work of Poe channeled by Cthlhu as transcribed by an exorcist with a hangover.

     

    Hence the reason I won't normally think to share much less publish horror stories I write.


    Skoob_Ym wrote:

    I would tend to think that nearly anything reminiscent of Ray Bradbury would fit the bill...

     

    My story was about a young man walking a young lady home past a graveyard.


     

  • Well, I've entered a story.

  • Sphinx,

    Go ahead and send it in through the contests@lulu.com address. I'm one of the people reviewing them anyway, so I'll give it a look to see if it's "too much" for our consideration and let you know.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Will do. Since the original passage is 2,096 words I'll trim down to 1,500.

     

    Even then it won't be for anyone 'disturbed' by "Mulan".


    Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Sphinx,

    Go ahead and send it in through the contests@lulu.com address. I'm one of the people reviewing them anyway, so I'll give it a look to see if it's "too much" for our consideration and let you know.

     

  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

    I'm starting to think that there is real artistry in subtlety.

  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

    Ron Miller wrote:

    Well, I've entered a story.


    WooHoo!

     

    With you and Sphinx in, I know there will be some competition. I look forward to seeing how it all comes out.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    "The Night Terror" has been entered and it's not for the faint of heart or those scared of the dark.

     

    If the story doesn't frighten, disturb, or at the least have the reader wonder about the torments a soul can be subjected to, then I failed.

     

    If it doesn't come across as something written by Poe, channelled by Cthulu, transcribed by a hungover exorcist, then related in a pub by a bard drunk on absinthe, then I need to start drinking some good wodka before I write.

     

    Glad to see I'm in good company with Ron, though I'm not betting my offering is in the same class.

     

    ** Added 15:27 **

     

    Hopefully I formatted the PDF correctly, as I don't normally write short stories.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Subtlety is an artform.

     

    Try thinking of being subtle while passively interrogating a psychopath you don't want alerted to your purpose or the fact you're on to him/her/zir, then apply that sense of "Oh crap, this had better work or I'm next" to your writing.

     

    I tend to be appalled with myself after I finish writing something in the horror venue.


    Skoob_Ym wrote:

    I'm starting to think that there is real artistry in subtlety.


     

  • Formatting wasn't something I wanted to emphasize since I'll be reformatting all the selected stories for the anthology anyway. We also haven't ever run a contest like this, so I wanted to keep the restrictions to a minimum to make sure we get enough entries.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Good to know.

     

    With luck you'll get a good assortment of tales appropriate for the tradition of Samhain when the veils between worlds be thin.


    Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Formatting wasn't something I wanted to emphasize since I'll be reformatting all the selected stories for the anthology anyway. We also haven't ever run a contest like this, so I wanted to keep the restrictions to a minimum to make sure we get enough entries.

     

  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

    In thinking of subtlety, I always remember the beginning of "Something Wicked this Way Comes," by Ray Bradbury. Somehow the idea of an old man wandering around selling lightning rods was suspenseful when he described it. It suggested a thing that was coming against which any possible protection would be a good move...

     

    I thought about submitting a story that I started for a former coworker -- we had been discussing creative writing, and she liked the horror genre. Still, it just didn't seem to fit here...

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    My submission is likely too adult in nightmarish quality, but I sent it anyway.

     

    Halloween incorporates a variety of traditions descended from different cultures, from Samhain to Day of the Dead to current.

     

    Why not stick a toe in, the water's not chilly.


    Skoob_Ym wrote:

    In thinking of subtlety, I always remember the beginning of "Something Wicked this Way Comes," by Ray Bradbury. Somehow the idea of an old man wandering around selling lightning rods was suspenseful when he described it. It suggested a thing that was coming against which any possible protection would be a good move...

     

    I thought about submitting a story that I started for a former coworker -- we had been discussing creative writing, and she liked the horror genre. Still, it just didn't seem to fit here...


     


  • SphinxCameron wrote:

    Will do. Since the original passage is 2,096 words I'll trim down to 1,500.

     

    Even then it won't be for anyone 'disturbed' by "Mulan".


    Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Sphinx,

    Go ahead and send it in through the contests@lulu.com address. I'm one of the people reviewing them anyway, so I'll give it a look to see if it's "too much" for our consideration and let you know.

     


    I took an existing story I had written and pared about 1000 words from it.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Normally I don't do shorts, unless a novella is considered short.

     

    Luckily the novel passage I chose wasn't too difficult to turn into a short, though having the not-quite-4-y-o popping in every five miutes with a demand-request made it take longer.


    Ron Miller wrote:

    SphinxCameron wrote:

    Will do. Since the original passage is 2,096 words I'll trim down to 1,500.

     

    Even then it won't be for anyone 'disturbed' by "Mulan".


    Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Sphinx,

    Go ahead and send it in through the contests@lulu.com address. I'm one of the people reviewing them anyway, so I'll give it a look to see if it's "too much" for our consideration and let you know.

     


    I took an existing story I had written and pared about 1000 words from it.


     

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    It would be interesting to know how many entries have been received so far.

  • Just a note FWIW: This exercise resulted in my purchasing printed books that I would never have looked for had it not been for these samples of the authors' work. Probably more to buy too.  ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.