what you prefer to read a short story or a long story

if had the chance to buy a book will you choose a book that had at least 120 pages or a book that ihad 800 pages

what do you think?

Comments

• Sakazuki wrote:

if had the chance to buy a book will you choose a book that had at least 120 pages or a book that ihad 800 pages

what do you think?

A. A book of 120 pages is a novel and not a short story.

B. I determine whether or not I will read a book on the quality of its content and the story it tells rather than the number of pages. In other words, I would rather read a great book of 800 pages than a poor one of 120.

• thank god, thank you Ron Miller

• Sakazuki a écrit :

If you had the chance to buy a book, would you choose a book that has at least 120 pages or a book that has 800 pages?

What do you think?

I suppose your question is about well-written novels.

800 pages : definitely too long, unless it is a masterpiece

250 pages : a good average

120 pages : looks a bit short

• I have paid to read a very short book (think less than 30 ebook page equivalents). First and foremost, a book has to interest me; that is my main consideration when it comes to self-published work. I do sometimes buy books which are not well written simply because they interest me.

I wonder who has the time to read an 800 page book and, more to the point, who has the time to write it!

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

potetjp wrote:

Sakazuki a écrit :

If you had the chance to buy a book, would you choose a book that has at least 120 pages or a book that has 800 pages?

What do you think?

I suppose your question is about well-written novels.

800 pages : definitely too long, unless it is a masterpiece

250 pages : a good average

120 pages : looks a bit short

I have to concur. Around 200 pp. is a good worthwhile read, and 200-300 is reasonable. Beyond that, I have to wonder how much is deathless prose and how much is pointless padding.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Simply put if the story is really good, 120 pages is simply a tease while 800 is basically a good start. Or put it in terms of word count, 60,000 words can be interminable with a lousy story while 160,000 words flies by with a great story.

A good story takes what it takes to tell. Short or long, a great story leaves a reader thirsting for more.

Rather than worry about the overall length, worry about telling a great story and the rest will take care of itself.

Sakazuki wrote:

what do you think?

• Quality means everything.
    Quantity is secondary at best.