Changes are HERE!

If you’ve spent time on the Lulu Forums or used the Lulu Knowledge Base in the last 8 years, you might notice that things look different than they have in the past.

That’s because we recently changed to a new service provider!

You might notice some links that aren’t working and a little funkiness with logging in (if you come to the forums and aren’t already logged in). We’re working on these problems right now, so please bear with us! We’re getting there!

While this will provide a more modern and natural flow for users on our Forums, there will of course be some differences that are not thrilling to everyone.

This thread will remain pinned for everyone to discuss and comment on the new Community site. Please provide constructive feedback. We are accepting of all comments good or bad, but please refrain from anything that doesn’t provide useful information. “Feature X could be better” or “I miss feature Y” are great. “This sucks” and the like, not so great.

A few things to note:

1.     We’ve redirected all old links to this new community. If you find a link anywhere on Lulu that is not functioning, please post that link here and we’ll get it updated.

2.     The Forums and Knowledge Base live under the same Community now. All Knowledge Base content will appear as closed Discussions. This means it is open for reading, but cannot be commented on. This is a semi-temporary measure, as we further evaluate how best to get knowledge base content to our users.

3.     Over the next few months, we’ll be doing some cleaning up of our Knowledge Base content. At the time of our transition, the Knowledge Base contained over 300 articles. Many of these were as short as a single line. Much of this content will be moved into more well organized threads, with similar information grouped. If something you remember seeing is no longer present, rest assured the information is still here and is likely just in a different location.

4.     Shameless Promotions is gone. Well, it’s not really gone, but we’ve hidden that thread for the time being. While it provided our authors a way to shamelessly promote their work, it didn’t really spur any positive conversations. We may reinstate it, we may try something new. For the time being, that content is hidden. If you have strong feelings one way or the other about Shameless Promotions, go ahead and leave a comment.

5.     Avatars are missing. We lost everyone’s avatars L Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to Import the old ones. Everyone has a placeholder as of now, and you’ll have to go to your profile to add a new one.

6.     The discussion Forums have some new features!

a.     For one, you’ll be able to start a “discussion” or post a “question.” If you post a question, the topic will be marked as such, alerting Lulu moderators and other users that you need some assistance. As a lot of our posts are focused on a question, this feature should help get answers more quickly for our users.

b.     Promote, Agree, Like, and more! These new buttons associated with forum posts allow you to interact without commenting. One thing we learned from our old forums was that a topic would often have a number of views, but little interaction. These new features give the forums more the ‘social media’ feeling a lot of us are familiar with, and should help us build interaction among our less outspoken members. This functionality includes options such as “Dislike.” We’re not turning those on at this time, but we may in the future.

c.     The Sidebar:

You’ll see these controls on the right throughout the new community. You’ll notice too that once you’re in a discussion, the Forums and Knowledge Base categories will be listed for quick navigation too.

But this bar pictured above is really cool. You’ll be able to quickly see discussions you’re involved in, new questions that need answering, recent discussions, and a new featured call Best Of…

The primary stuff should be pretty self-explanatory, but Best Of… deserves a little attention. If you go there you’ll find a collection of content we’ve marked as a “Best Of” piece. This can include anything in the Community, from Forum Posts to Knowledge Base. It is going to read like a blog, and will mostly be full of informational content we think is useful to you. If you’ve got a question and are struggling to find an answer, Best Of… is a good place to look.

Comments

• I'm glad all is up an running again. Initial feelings: it looks nice, very spacey, nice colour design. Good job.
  • edited November 23
    We seem to have lost the ability to customise our forum user name. Didn't see anything in Profile or Preferences.  ???
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭
    Mr Sapp has a point about customizing the forum user name, but all good. Figuring out who is who might take a while in some cases.

Hopefully the 'social media' thing won't get out of hand -- there's a reason (or two) I don't do FacePain.

Good to see things up again.
  • edited November 23
    Links to announcements in e-mail notifications give a "Page not Found" error. There are a number of other minor broken links within the site still but navigation is possible.
    Also, I noticed that signing out of the Forums does not sign you out of the Lulu site - you are still able to visit your projects, et al.
    (I am assuming this is the correct thread to put bug reports?)
  • Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin
    edited November 23
    If you click on your username, you'll see a profile page. From there click the arrow next to the little silhouette image on the right and edit. That opens the option to edit username and email.

Edit: correction, the edit setting is not showing up. I'll get it fixed so you can edit your info.
    Have a good holiday. Time enough on Monday.
  • Regarding the links and sign in - the links are being looked at. Something didn't fully work with the redirect plug in. I imagine it will be early next week before we know the extent of the problem, but we're working to get it resolve.

For sign in, we did leave it so that signing out here did not sign users out of their Lulu account. We've got options as far as how this interaction works, so we could make that change if its something you all prefer.
  • Unless I am missing it, once on the forums there seems no friendly way of returning to one's main Lulu account. Can an easily viewable link back be put in please? Or, failing that, make accessing the forums from the main Lulu pages a new tab, thus leaving the original pages still open and accessible? Thanks.
  • Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin
    edited November 23
    Hi John,

The header and footer weren't completed in time for launch. Once we have a real header, there will be a "My Projects" link to get you back to your Lulu projects page.

Edit: On second look, the URL to get to your My Projects is within my limited HTML skills. I added a text link in the header. If you're logged in, you should go right to your account. If you're not, you should get routed to the log in page.

Let me know if it gives you any trouble
  • Thank you for that. Yes, it worked to get back to my project page. On going back to the forums however, it is currently a two stage thing, where an error message comes up, 'Oops' etc, but there are still tabs at the top and selecting one from there then goes to the forums.
  • Yeah, something in the redirects needs to be smoothed out. We're working on it, though it may not be 100% until early next week.
  • Hopefully promotion shameless come back again, because i need it.
  • Just come across a problem. I was going to add a further reply to a discussion, but changed my mind. There does not seem to be a delete option for the text added to the box, or to delete the reply itself. I've tried deleting what's there, moved away to another page, come back, and the text is back again.
  • The “comment” box is always present, so to remove a un-posted reply, you should be able to delete the text. The text remaining after you navigate back is the “draft” save option. I can look into turning this off. 
  • At last I'm able to access the new forum. Now for a look around...
  • Thanks, Paul, it may be best to jiggle with that, as a deleted comment isn't a draft, it's been jettisoned for ever, or at least, one hopes it has.

On the project page the Resources link to User Forums is now pointing to the test Vanilla Communities page.

I logged out but after logging back in the issue remained.
  • Thanks Sphinx! I submit a request to get that redirected
  • I liked the Shameless Promotions feature, not only to brag about my latest books, but to peruse what others are publishing.
    tallandtruetales.blog
  • Thanks for the note! I want to do something for promoting and highlighting books, so if nothing better comes together in the near future, we'll bring Shameless back as is.
  • edited November 30
    I think the Shameless Promotion page is/was a great idea.  Yes it was good to put your work out there, even if it wasn't commented on a lot.  Just doing it, brought a little, "Ahhh" moment.  Like putting your childs art on the fridge.  I'm liking to new look, need to spend more time checking it all out. 

On a different subject I would like to see an update in our authors spotlight bookstore page. :)

Anyways, great job.  Loving it.