Question on custom ISBNs and eBook formats

I already have my own ISBNs and I'm looking to publish in ebook format and sell to multiple outlets. But I'm confused on one point. How is it possible that a Lulu project with a single ISBN can be distributed to channels that can't (or shouldn't) reuse the same ISBN?

From the video tutorials I've seen, it looks like for a new project I can: 1) provide my own ISBN, and then 2) distribute to different outlines (for example, EPUB edition for iBooks and MOBI for Kindle). But I don't get how that can work.

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Electronic is one format. Paperback 6x9 is one format. Hardback 6x9 is one format.

One could posit that if the Epub and Mobi file have the same distribution origin point, it would be considered the same format even if tweaked slightly to operate on different devices.

Lulu employess should be in the office tomorrow to provide a more technical answer, since this is Sunday.

celdaran wrote:

I already have my own ISBNs and I'm looking to publish in ebook format and sell to multiple outlets. But I'm confused on one point. How is it possible that a Lulu project with a single ISBN can be distributed to channels that can't (or shouldn't) reuse the same ISBN?

From the video tutorials I've seen, it looks like for a new project I can: 1) provide my own ISBN, and then 2) distribute to different outlines (for example, EPUB edition for iBooks and MOBI for Kindle). But I don't get how that can work.

• Sphinx is right, the ISBN is attached to the specific edition and format. For eBook there is a slight allowance here between EPUB and MOBI, primarily because Amazon insists on using the MOBI format rather than doing what every single other ebook does and use EPUB.

So MOBI is a bit of a special case, but the way to think about it is like this: When you create an ebook on Lulu, we're distributing the EPUB book, with the caveat that distribution to Amazon allows for them to convert to MOBI.