from print to ebook question

If I go into lulu projects and follow steps to turn the books into ebooks, does the ISBN number come along? Is it the same book in that regard, just another format? I am nervous that I will undo something or replace the print version, when what I want is the print version to be available to ebook readers.

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

You get a new ISBN number as the Epub is a different format than the print version.

Trade Paperback, Hardcover with dust jacket, hardcover casewrap, and Epub are different formats needing their own ISBN even if it's the same basic book.

deannaa wrote:

If I go into lulu projects and follow steps to turn the books into ebooks, does the ISBN number come along? Is it the same book in that regard, just another format? I am nervous that I will undo something or replace the print version, when what I want is the print version to be available to ebook readers.

• You'll also have to add the new ISBN to the document replacing the one for the paperback version. Then upload that. Not as complicated as it seems. Once you do it a fews times it's not bad at all. Feel free to ask us anything if need help.

As well, copy the doc file you used for the print version and use the copy for your epub as the interior formatting is different.

• Deanna

Forget about Lulu Projects. Go back to your original source document on your computer. Make a copy of it to use as your ebook source document. Start a new ebook project in Lulu. and accept the ISBN offered to you and copy and paste that into your source document.

Make sure that the title of your book is on the very first line of your document and assign a Head 1 style to it. If you have a table of contents and page numbers in your print book strip these out now as they are not needed. If you want your chapter headings to appear in the TOC, which will be generated during the conversion process, assign Heading Style 1 (or 2 if you prefer) to them. If not then assign Heading Style 1 to the first line of your copyright notice and submit your book to be converted to an ebook. It should pass the distribution requirements.

• My books have ASIN numbers from Kindle, what would be a good way to generate an ISBN to connect with Lulu's platform?

Take the source file for your Kindle version, make a copy, step through the epub for distribution process, replace ASIN with ISBN once it's generated, and at the distribution stage deselect Amazon.

JPole wrote:

My books have ASIN numbers from Kindle, what would be a good way to generate an ISBN to connect with Lulu's platform?