Creating Table of Contents for my eBook

Hi,

I have been having great difficulties submitting my manuscript  for making of an ebook. The issue is simly creating Table of Contents. The table of Contents I have has been rejected three times already, and I have read all the guides of creating the Table of Contents but they seem too complex and very long in procedure.

Can't this thing be just simplied?

Please, how can you help.

BR

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Another iteration.

I format for Epub using OO or LO Writer. I format for print with Word 97

No major issues so far other than migrating from XP SP3 to Ubuntu 16.04 while keeping a backup box..

Try making a copy of the doc. Open the copy in Word, select all, then set all text to default. Remove all page and section breaks, headers, footers, page numbers, and schtuff an epub doesn't use. Save the file.

Open the copy in Writer, apply the heading 1, 2, or 3 as and where applicable. Indent as needed. Save.

Upload the copy to the converter, see what comes out.

Hint: the converter uses the headings to create the TOC.

advocatusdei wrote:

Hi,

I have been having great difficulties submitting my manuscript  for making of an ebook. The issue is simly creating Table of Contents. The table of Contents I have has been rejected three times already, and I have read all the guides of creating the Table of Contents but they seem too complex and very long in procedure.

Can't this thing be just simplied?

Please, how can you help.

BR

• dvocatusdei

If you are trying to insert a manual table of contents delete it now. The TOC is created during the conversion process. This is all you need:

My Fantastic Book                 (Assign Heading 1 Style)

Copyright 2017 Amazing Author       (Assign Heading 1 Style)

All Rights Reserved

ISBN:

It was a dark and stormy night...

If you want your chapter headings to show up in your TOC then assign a Heading 1 style to them too. I would not even bother with Heading 2 and Heading 3; all they do is confuse people.

Questions about creating the TOC is what that pops up in the forum the most and it really is incredibly easy. Follow the steps I have outlined and your book will sail through the distribution process.

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Attach your Word document if you want I'll have a look.

• I have this same problem, have done this multiple times and it still does not work. 

• The quickest way to prep a file for epub conversion is to clear all formatting in the entire document, be sure the Heading Styles are set to default, and reapply Heading 1, 2, and 3 as needed to define content that should appear in the ToC.

If you're still seeing an error after trying this, I would contact support for more detailed advice - http://www.lulu.com/support
  • This didn't work for me, sorry