Cover, Comments?

SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

How well did I stich together on Ubuntu 16.04 since the wizard works differently?

Comments

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

I have used covers that looked much worse.

The artwork is excellent.

The rear cover uses a very small font, and there is a lot of blank space on the back. Also, the space allotted for the bar code is longer than the bar code; one of the corrections I made on my last cover (after feedback here) was that I reduced that white space.

I might make the rear blurb larger, and I might add a catchy slogan in large font in the blank space, or move the blurb text there and center the artwork above it. 

In general, very good over all to my eye.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I did it with the old cover designer since I don't have Flash on my Ubuntu box.

Ron Miller did the front cover for me (I think almost four years ago), and I used GIMP to take part of the front for the back "Author Photo" area. The text space was intended for "About the Author".

Since I went through three or possibly four computers between the original writing and subsequent editing plus formatting, I was pretty frustrated by the time my formatting was finished and I Distilled a PDF to upload for print. I'm glad I still have an old 32 bit desktop with XP SP3 loaded along with Distiller 5.05.

If I can ever figure out InkScape I'll try making a better one piece where the rear cover image is bigger and the blurb text is properly formatted. Meaning the barcode will be whatever Lulu gave me to download.

For a self-published novel, I hope the book store I stopped at will find the cover and interior formatting acceptable enough to carry a few copies. At roughly 145,000 words without the appendices (for the crowd that likes nuts and bolts to argue), it's not over-priced.

Skoob_Ym wrote:

I have used covers that looked much worse.

The artwork is excellent.

The rear cover uses a very small font, and there is a lot of blank space on the back. Also, the space allotted for the bar code is longer than the bar code; one of the corrections I made on my last cover (after feedback here) was that I reduced that white space.

I might make the rear blurb larger, and I might add a catchy slogan in large font in the blank space, or move the blurb text there and center the artwork above it. 

In general, very good over all to my eye.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

I understand the feeling. I just spent two hours trying to re-align the author name on my front page -- unfortunately, Photoshop either wants to rip a hole in the picture to move the block, or wants to add an odd effect that then has to be manually deleted. After about 2 hours of futzing around, I decided not to screw with it any further, and to stick with what I've got.

It's my own ineptitude with the program, not the program itself, but at a certain level of frustration, you just have to say, "Yeah, I'm going with this right here."

To make a long post short: I feel your pain.

• I would recommend paint.net

It is free and incredibly easy to use.

Is this a bit better?

• Looks pretty nice!

I think you could perhaps make the heading on the back cover a little larger...even the block of text itself. You have plenty of  room.

By the way, why the quotes around the word "we"?

R

Ah, let me get used to Pinta, GIMP, and Inkscape and I'll adjust text boxes.

"We" represents a collective in this case. Consider a fundamentalist sect of a church where the collective subset practices polygamy on top of mind control. As a collective, the "we" could be considered noxious, whereas individuals may be good decent people.

As a species or collective, "we" currently would represent a nightmare for a species with peaceful intent, even though a large number of individual members of said collective likely wouldn't.

It's a group think thing.

Ron Miller wrote:

Looks pretty nice!

I think you could perhaps make the heading on the back cover a little larger...even the block of text itself. You have plenty of  room.

By the way, why the quotes around the word "we"?

R

• I would delete the quotes. They imply that you are meaning something other than what you are saying. In much the same way that your quotes around the word simple suggest that you actually mean the opposite.

As in how this now looks...

I would "delete: the quotes. They imply that you are "meaning" something "other" than what you are "saying." 

Does this work a bit better? Guess I'll play with Pinta once Wife gets to work.

What happens when (as a collective) we are the monsters another species has very good reason to fear?

Ron Miller wrote:

I would delete the quotes. They imply that you are meaning something other than what you are saying. In much the same way that your quotes around the word simple suggest that you actually mean the opposite.

I would "delete: the quotes. They imply that you are "meaning" something "other" than what you are "saying." 

• SphinxCameron wrote:

What happens when (as a collective) we are the monsters another species has very good reason to fear?

Ron Miller wrote:

I would delete the quotes. They imply that you are meaning something other than what you are saying. In much the same way that your quotes around the word simple suggest that you actually mean the opposite.

I think that perhaps you are being a little too pendantic. I don't think anyone will read "we" in any other way than as a reference to humankind in its entirety. As in "We are going to explore Mars someday" or "We evolved from single-celled organisms." This is especially true when the sentence also refers to "another species." The word "we," then, is refering to our species.

Apologies, functioning on a sleep deficit this morning as Wife had to switch from swing shift to morning overnight, for one day.

I need more kaffee.

Ron Miller wrote:

SphinxCameron wrote:

Ron Miller wrote:

I think that perhaps you are being a little too pendantic. I don't think anyone will read "we" in any other way than as a reference to humankind in its entirety. As in "We are going to explore Mars someday" or "We evolved from single-celled organisms." This is especially true when the sentence also refers to "another species." The word "we," then, is refering to our species.

Mrphle, better?

• Nice!

Third mug of strong chicory kaffee must have done the trick, and thank you. It's good to know I'm getting better.

I'm installing MakeHuman so I can try my hand at something more complex than stick figure graphics. My forte may rest in creating artifacts in the physical realm, but maybe I can make something credible for a cover between four graphic programs.

The Wife may not like me diverting some time to my avocation, but she does like it when I engage enough to not be crabby.

Ron Miller wrote:

Nice!

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

The most recent cover looks very professional to my eye.

Thank you, it was my goal.

Back when I did System Support I had to compete with guys who had all sorts of advanced degrees, and while I've never stopped studying I left college with the equivalent of an Associate's. I also learned how to do work-arounds, and in a lot of cases the guys with multiple degrees asked me how I got something done. Like I told one guy with an attitude: "Just cause I'm technologically impaired doesn't mean I'm unintelligent and ineducable."

I guess persistence pays off eventually. While I don't have the innate talent to do what Ron does, I'd like to think I am approaching some decent level of professionalism even if writing / editing / formatting / graphics aren't my main vocation. Now if I could just remember where I put those details on cryo-sleep...

Skoob_Ym wrote:

• SphinxCameron wrote:

Thank you, it was my goal.

Back when I did System Support I had to compete with guys who had all sorts of advanced degrees, and while I've never stopped studying I left college with the equivalent of an Associate's. I also learned how to do work-arounds, and in a lot of cases the guys with multiple degrees asked me how I got something done. Like I told one guy with an attitude: "Just cause I'm technologically impaired doesn't mean I'm unintelligent and ineducable."

I guess persistence pays off eventually. While I don't have the innate talent to do what Ron does, I'd like to think I am approaching some decent level of professionalism even if writing / editing / formatting / graphics aren't my main vocation. Now if I could just remember where I put those details on cryo-sleep...

Skoob_Ym wrote:

You did a great job!