Showing off

I don't put anything I do in this forum very often, so I figured it would only be fair if I did. So here.

PS

Yes, there is a full-blown title page, copyright page and contents page but I didn't want to waste preview space on those.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Gorgeous.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Well done. Loved the tale of poor Creighton and his new friend Susi.

Though from the Front cover, it seems as if it took a lot of work to get these stories out of you...

Um, just to be clear... Did you also write these?

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ron-miller/velda-gets-knotty/paperback/product-21889906.html

• Skoob_Ym wrote:

Well done. Loved the tale of poor Creighton and his new friend Susi.

Though from the Front cover, it seems as if it took a lot of work to get these stories out of you...

Um, just to be clear... Did you also write these?

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ron-miller/velda-gets-knotty/paperback/product-21889906.html

Thanks for the nice words!

And as for your question: Yup.

It's part of a whole kind of Velda mythos that also includes a novel (originally published by Timberwolf Press, now out of print but available through Lulu), a collection of short stories and a series of 8 or 9 comic books, recently collected in three volumes by Caliber Comics.

The character has also been featured in four radio plays broadcast nationally by NPR. 

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure, because you have kind of a common name. I thought it might just be a coincidence.

The Velda book referenced above had a very strong 1930s pulp style to it. There was something unique in the pulp fiction of the 30s, and when it's done well, as with that book, it can be very entertaining.

• Skoob_Ym wrote:

I wasn't sure, because you have kind of a common name. I thought it might just be a coincidence.

The Velda book referenced above had a very strong 1930s pulp style to it. There was something unique in the pulp fiction of the 30s, and when it's done well, as with that book, it can be very entertaining.

Again, you flatter me!

• Very nice. And you should promote more things, Ron, as an example to others.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Very nice. And you should promote more things, Ron, as an example to others.

I probably should. 

Since almost all of my Lulu books have been done largely for fun or for a very specific audience, it's never really occurred to me to promote them very much---Velda being perhaps the most outstanding exception.

• Ron

You have an easy-flowing natural style. What many inexperienced writers don't

understand is that less really is more

• danielblue wrote:

Ron

You have an easy-flowing natural style. What many inexperienced writers don't

understand is that less really is more

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize that.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Taking your suggestion to heart, I posted this today: http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Shameless-Promotion/The-Iron-Tempest-two-new-novelettes/ba-p/346872

• Ron Miller wrote:

kevinlomas wrote:

Taking your suggestion to heart, I posted this today: http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Shameless-Promotion/The-Iron-Tempest-two-new-novelettes/ba-p/346872

...and continuing to post in Shameless Promotions.

• Ron Miller wrote:

Ron Miller wrote:

kevinlomas wrote:

So I see! You and some other has taken Shameless over! Or are you both names? I was wondering if you would not be better combining some of your short stuff in to thicker books?

• kevinlomas wrote:

Ron Miller wrote:

Ron Miller wrote:

kevinlomas wrote:

So I see! You and some other has taken Shameless over! Or are you both names? I was wondering if you would not be better combining some of your short stuff in to thicker books?

I've posted only two short pieces on their own---the two Bradamant novellas---all the rest are full-length novels: The Iron Tempest (the longest at 444 pages), Velda and the  A Company of Heroes series.  The Velda novella and short story collection were included with the posting about the novel. So really only four posts in Shameless altogether.

Everything else that has popped up in the last few days has been by other people (I certainly hope you don't think I would have done some of those covers! Smiley Wink )

• I've posted only two short pieces on their own---the two Bradamant novellas---all the rest are full-length novels: The Iron Tempest (the longest at 444 pages), Velda and the  A Company of Heroes series.  The Velda novella and short story collection were included with the posting about the novel. So really only four posts in Shameless altogether.

Ah. After the first couple I stopped looking. It was like a Shameless hailstone   Smiley Tongue

Everything else that has popped up in the last few days has been by other people (I certainly hope you don't think I would have done some of those covers! Smiley Wink )

There was so many in succession I never bothered to look.

Why have you not published yours before?

• kevinlomas wrote:

I've posted only two short pieces on their own---the two Bradamant novellas---all the rest are full-length novels: The Iron Tempest (the longest at 444 pages), Velda and the  A Company of Heroes series.  The Velda novella and short story collection were included with the posting about the novel. So really only four posts in Shameless altogether.

Ah. After the first couple I stopped looking. It was like a Shameless hailstone   Smiley Tongue

There was so many in succession I never bothered to look.

Why have you not published yours before?

It was your suggestion that I mention the books in Shameless Promotion that inspired me to do so, figuring what the heck, why not? I agreed with your idea that it might make a good example.

Most of the books have actually been available through Lulu for many years. I've just never bothered to promote them.

After being available originally as traditionally published books (Velda, the first four Bronwyn books and, under the title Bradamant, The Iron Tempest---from Timberwolf Press and Berkley/Ace), most of the novels were subsequently published as ebooks by Baen, where they are now available in that form. I had already republished them via Lulu largely for the fun of it (there are links via my website, but that is all) and it also gave me a chance to fool around with the texts just for my own satisfaction. But I never felt any particular drive to promote them. 

The two short story collections and the three novellas were published originally through Lulu and are still available solely from there and nowhere else. (There is a version of Peculiar Tales available from Baen, but it contains fewer stories.)

There is one remaining Baen ebook novel that I have not yet posted in Shameless Promotions as a Lulu print edition.

The Velda comic books were a complete reversal of all this. I created them originally as a kind of hobby (the very first one was done to promote the novel, Velda) and they have subsequently been published commercially by Caliber Comics.

• It was your suggestion that I mention the books in Shameless Promotion that inspired me to do so, figuring what the heck, why not? I agreed with your idea that it might make a good example.

I thought that may be the case, but was too humble to mention it.  Smiley Very Happy

Most of the books have actually been available through Lulu for many years. I've just never bothered to promote them.

It used to be better in the forums when one could click on a person's name and it would go to their Storefront (now called Spotlights for those who wonder). So many people use AKAs for screen names when they are posting it makes it hard to find their books.

After being available originally as traditionally published books (Velda, the first four Bronwyn books and, under the title Bradamant, The Iron Tempest---from Timberwolf Press and Berkley/Ace), most of the novels were subsequently published as ebooks by Baen, where they are now available in that form. I had already republished them via Lulu largely for the fun of it (there are links via my website, but that is all) and it also gave me a chance to fool around with the texts just for my own satisfaction. But I never felt any particular drive to promote them. 

I have to admit to the same 'problem'. I would much rather write than promote, I just can't really be bothered. But it is nice to hold one's printed books.

The two short story collections and the three novellas were published originally through Lulu and are still available solely from there and nowhere else. (There is a version of Peculiar Tales available from Baen, but it contains fewer stories.)

There is one remaining Baen ebook novel that I have not yet posted in Shameless Promotions as a Lulu print edition.

Can I suggest that promoting so many at the same time could cause people to become a bit fed up of looking?

• kevinlomas wrote:

It was your suggestion that I mention the books in Shameless Promotion that inspired me to do so, figuring what the heck, why not? I agreed with your idea that it might make a good example.

I thought that may be the case, but was too humble to mention it.  Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Wink

It used to be better in the forums when one could click on a person's name and it would go to their Storefront (now called Spotlights for those who wonder). So many people use AKAs for screen names when they are posting it makes it hard to find their books.

I know. It would be nice to be able to get to someone's storefront easily again.

I have to admit to the same 'problem'. I would much rather write than promote, I just can't really be bothered. But it is nice to hold one's printed books.

True enough! But I have enough books coming from traditional publishers to satisfy that craving.

I can't think of any way to put this that doesn't sound condescending---especially since I have nothing but admiration for those people who really put all the necessary work and craftsmanship into self-publishing their books---but it is kind of like giving yourself first prize in a contest.

Can I suggest that promoting so many at the same time could cause people to become a bit fed up of looking?

You may be right, but I was less interested in promoting the books than in showing some ways to do that.

Last week I received a questionnaire from the publisher of a book I have coming out later this year. It was more or less the same thing every author gets: information that the publisher's publicity and marketing people would like to have in order to effectively promote a book. There were three pages of questions! But it will help them to produce everything from print ads to scheduling appearances to determining the best places to send review copies.

• It used to be better in the forums when one could click on a person's name and it would go to their Storefront (now called Spotlights for those who wonder). So many people use AKAs for screen names when they are posting it makes it hard to find their books.

I know. It would be nice to be able to get to someone's storefront easily again.

True enough! But I have enough books coming from traditional publishers to satisfy that craving.

I can't think of any way to put this that doesn't sound condescending---especially since I have nothing but admiration for those people who really put all the necessary work and craftsmanship into self-publishing their books---but it is kind of like giving yourself first prize in a contest.

There is nothing like the satisfaction of a job well done, as long as it is well done!

You may be right, but I was less interested in promoting the books than in showing some ways to do that.

Indeed. At the very least you have shown people who post in Shameless that they need to provide a link!

Last week I received a questionnaire from the publisher of a book I have coming out later this year. It was more or less the same thing every author gets: information that the publisher's publicity and marketing people would like to have in order to effectively promote a book. There were three pages of questions! But it will help them to produce everything from print ads to scheduling appearances to determining the best places to send review copies.

I have to say I am very 'unsociable' on such forms. I don't see why potential readers need to know how often I wash my socks. I am somewhat of a private person. I am a publicist's nightmare. Smiley LOL

• kevinlomas wrote:

Indeed. At the very least you have shown people who post in Shameless that they need to provide a link!

If I have done nothing more than that I will be pleased!

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Ron Miller wrote:

kevinlomas wrote:

If I have done nothing more than that I will be pleased!

I would contend that you've raised the tone of the Shameless forum, and thus done us all a huge favor.

• Well, we'll see what happens...but judging by the most recent posting to Shameless Promotions it didn't do much good.

• What this is showing not have problem

• Monaliz wrote:

What this is showing not have problem

What?!?

• I second that.