Looking for a Lyricist

I am in the midst of writing a few separate plays and one of them is in need of a Musical touch (recommended by my early readers). So if there is anyone who is interested in or capable of writing lyrics for a medieval-style play then state your case and I will send all the necessary information. The play is about the sons of a great and powerful Imperial Lord, and they all describe his life as well as his fame in the course of the play.

Comments

• I thought that lyrics are the written word, and you are already doing that. Possibly they may rhyme, but not always. Perhaps it is someone to write music you are after?

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

There's much more to a song than words and music, Kevin.

A Lyricist would be someone who can write words in a pattern that renders them possible to sing. It involves meter on the one hand, and the careful control of elements such as unintentional alliteration or discordant rhymes. This makes it very different from poetry.

Consider the opening verses of John chapter one. It is easy to see them as poetry, whehter in Greek or in English. But try setting the passage to music so that it can be sung. Ditto for John Milton's On His Blindness.

(and, no, I'm not volunteering as a lyricist. Sorry, I have enough trouble with straight-up prose.)

• Skoob_Ym wrote:

There's much more to a song than words and music, Kevin.

That's all that a song is ...

A Lyricist would be someone who can write words in a pattern that renders them possible to sing.

Not always. The music can be written to match the words, and often is, because it is easier that way.

It involves meter on the one hand, and the careful control of elements such as unintentional alliteration or discordant rhymes. This makes it very different from poetry.

But a lot of it is poetry. Try this >>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JAk_UZ7xF8 and here is another >>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWYEXLa_lI there are millions of other examples. Take a look > http://www.lyrics.com/

Consider the opening verses of John chapter one. It is easy to see them as poetry, whehter in Greek or in English. But try setting the passage to music so that it can be sung. Ditto for John Milton's On His Blindness.

But it is not as hard as you think.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lHSZsejCWg

(and, no, I'm not volunteering as a lyricist. Sorry, I have enough trouble with straight-up prose.)

I know some, but I still think it is someone to write music that the OP is after. Perhaps the OP will clarify for us?

• The play is already being written as it has been outlined and thoroughly detailed already.

But even as a musical, it will not only consist of songs, as Les Miserables does. It will also consist of some narration and plenty of dialogue.

My issue isn't whether or not it is difficult to write the lyrics in proper rhyme schemes or in proper syllable forms, but rather that I am hard-pressed for extra time. I am in the middle of writing 3 separate boks, 2 plays, and an encyclopedia. So all I am in need of is some words in basic song formation and based off of my stories, though a more thorough writing would help to fit it into the play correctly.

• Aemore1314

You were looking for a lyricist and all you got was a clown who thinks you were looking for someone

to write the music. The sheer arrogance of the said jester beggers belief; everything has to be distorted

simply so that he can waffle on ad nauseum. No doubt he will respond to this but fortunately I will not

read it.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that you will find what you are looking for here. I would suggest that you cast

your net further afield.

• Aemore1314 wrote:

The play is already being written as it has been outlined and thoroughly detailed already.

But even as a musical, it will not only consist of songs, as Les Miserables does. It will also consist of some narration and plenty of dialogue.

My issue isn't whether or not it is difficult to write the lyrics in proper rhyme schemes or in proper syllable forms, but rather that I am hard-pressed for extra time. I am in the middle of writing 3 separate boks, 2 plays, and an encyclopedia. So all I am in need of is some words in basic song formation and based off of my stories, though a more thorough writing would help to fit it into the play correctly.

Ah, ok, so you want a song writer. A person who can write both the lyrics and the tune.

Try here >>  http://lp.fiverr.com/lp-go-music-v1/?u_sou=bing&u_med=cpc&u_cam=B_UK_Music-Audio_BMM&u_ter=[hire-songwriter]_bmm&u_con=AdID^78271491221122^Keyword^%2Bhire%20%2Bsongwriter^Placement^{placement}^Device^c

But would it not be better to concentrate of one thing at a time and finish it?

• Aemore1314

You were looking for a lyricist and all you got was a clown who thinks you were looking for someone

to write the music. The sheer arrogance of the said jester beggers belief; everything has to be distorted

simply so that he can waffle on ad nauseum. No doubt he will respond to this but fortunately I will not

read it.

I assume you mean me? Well you should read it and also learn some manners and not be so ignorant, you should also learn to understand what is being said. Read the OP again carefully and then read my first reply. I asked a valid question which the OP has now answered.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that you will find what you are looking for here. I would suggest that you cast

your net further afield.

But there are song writers using Lulu and even recently one has been using the forum.

• It occurs to me that an important point has been overlooked by the poster: Is he planning to pay for the work the lyricist does?

• Have you found a lyricist yet? Let me know. Smiley Happy
  • Indeed Ron, it's one of the reasons I somethimes answer a question with a question in order to clarify what people actually need. Apparently that's wrong though.

• It would be easier, though I don't think it would be correct to say "better" necessarily. Thank you for the assistance.
  • In reply to the two previous comments I say this:

I would be willing to pay someone for the work at hand if it met some rather strict prerequisites; good quality of work, compliance with my themes and story, a general good attitude and ability to work with me non-hostilly. The amount of pay would be determined by me and the "lyricist" in question, and would have to be a nondisclosed amount.

I have yet to find a lyricist befitting my needs and/or desires for this play.

• Surely if you employ one to do work for you, then they do as you request? But did you click the link I gave?

• I did check out the link, but seeing as how I am trying this as a fairly individualistic project I wont be enlisting help through that method. It's also why I won't be posting any further information about the play's specifics. I want to keep it from being expedited outside the realm of my control.

• Aemore1314 wrote:

In reply to the two previous comments I say this:

I would be willing to pay someone for the work at hand if it met some rather strict prerequisites; good quality of work, compliance with my themes and story, a general good attitude and ability to work with me non-hostilly. The amount of pay would be determined by me and the "lyricist" in question, and would have to be a nondisclosed amount.

I have yet to find a lyricist befitting my needs and/or desires for this play.

I'm not too surprised.

• Methinks you need a lyricist,
    And to write is my desire.
    If you choose to test my skills,
    Little pay would I require.

My manner, 'tis agreeable,
    And my interests do align.
    If you fancy more details,
    Here's my email. What is thine?

MeredithWomacCook@gmail.com

Be not worried to decline,
    I will take nary offense.
    May you find that which you seek;
    And I'll take my lyrics hence.
  • You've caught my interests and now hold them strongly with your music. I would like to ask of you what need be done for us to work together.

jacobtylersmith2011@hotmail.com

~Most impressed thus far

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

I love a happy ending.