Word Count Should not Include:

How do you put your heading at the top of each page and your chapter page without it being added to word count?

Okay, here how I was told to do it.

Title of book                                                          CH.1/PG.1

Comments

• I am sure that is still classed as a word, but I don't see why it matters that much.

But anything you highlight will be counted separately and displayed next to the total word count in the bottom left of Word's frame.

• My wordprocessor (WordPerfect) doesn't include headers and page numbers in the word count. Does yours?

• I believe MS Word uses all words in the document for the count. Other word processing tools have more dynamic count options, but in this Word keeps it pretty basic.
  • I have no idea if Word does count every single word it can find. Perhaps the only way to find out is to count it all manually!

Right, I have just tried my hiliting suggestion and the Headers and Footers do not hilite when Select All is used and the word count comes out the same. So, it seems Headers and Footers are not normally included.

I still do not see why it matters unless one is being paid by the word.

• In my humble opinion:

Since headers and footers and page numbers and chapter headings and so forth represent a trivial sliver of the content, I tend to ignore them, myself. If the total word count is 70,000 words, but the page numbers and so forth account for 70 of those words, very few people will tell me, "Oh, but only 69,930 words are in the actual STORY itself."

And anyone who does make a point of telling me that has larger problems than I am equipped to resolve.

• Hey, now that answer is what I've been waiting to hear.  They want a word count for your novel when you submit and I was thinking the header and chapter pages should not count as part of the story. But at the same time without the Chapter page, the reader won't know a new chapter has started. But the header should just be automatic.

• Thanks for the answer. A few of the places I've submitted to wanted a word count, even though they did not want the full work sent. First ten pages, first three chapters, ect..  I was thinking even then that the header the chapter page should not be included because it is not part of the actual story. The story is what the author has created and that's what we want to be read and to be accepted on.

• RabidWolf61 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. A few of the places I've submitted to wanted a word count, even though they did not want the full work sent. First ten pages, first three chapters, ect..  I was thinking even then that the header the chapter page should not be included because it is not part of the actual story. The story is what the author has created and that's what we want to be read and to be accepted on.

My understanding is that the word count is to give them an idea of what it would take to publish the story. A magazine may have a strict 1000 word limit or maybe 5 or 6,000 (short story) or up to 15,000 for a novella. Book publishers want at least 50,000 as a rule of thumb, depending on genre. Usually 50,000 to 100,000 is in "Novel" range, depending on who you ask.
    But that's so they don't order a "Short Story" and get 50,000 words, or a "novel" that's 25,000. I suppose that there are a few magazines that pay by the word -- $.05 a word, or $.10 per word -- but that's kind of rare these days. Life's too short to be counting words.
    I do remember a short story that was called $1000 a Word -- I want to say that it was by Lawrence Block and that I read it in AHMM, but I could be wrong... Anyway, the guy was a writer, and he told all his friends he had a gig that would pay $1000 per word... Turns out he was writing a stick-up note for a bank robbery.
  •  Thanks for the info.

• Hey, now that answer is what I've been waiting to hear.  They want a word count for your novel when you submit

Who do? Lulu do not look at the contents. Only page count is placed with the details. You can upload totally blank pages if you want, and some even have.

and I was thinking the header and chapter pages should not count as part of the story. But at the same time without the Chapter page, the reader won't know a new chapter has started.

Chapter names/numbers are not normally in the Headers or Footers. They are part of the bodytext. People seem to often get mixed up between Headings, and Headers. They are not the same thing. (They also get mixed up with what a Style is when tagging words for ePub TOCs).

But the header should just be automatic.

Well it is, if you have set it to be so.

• Thanks for the info.  Yeah the more I read from seasoned writers the more I find I don't know. I have my header set my footer set. I was for the longest putting all that in manually. Actually via copy and paste. Saved time and all that. Haha. Hey, what did I know?  They gave me this format on what was suppose to be at the top of every page, what was suppose to be on your chapter page.  Then suddenly I'm told I'm doing it wrong. Mindblower. I had all these stories written with the way they first told me to do it. So I go back and undo what I did, at the same time did another proofread. You know just to make sure. For the longest time, I had no clear idea how the Header and Footer thing worked. Probably still don't. But I had no idea if the header and footer counted in the word count, and when asked what is the word count, was I suppose to deduct the header and footer from the count.

• Headers and Footers are not compulsory. Some have both the title and page number in just a Header for example. Some have just a number. E-Pubs do not have Headers, Footers or Page Numbers at all.

If you submit a manuscript to a publisher they will not want any kind of formatting at all, because if they take you on, they will do it.  It is often best to include Page Number * of * Pages though, on every page, in case one gets lost!

Often if they ask for the entire manuscript they will want it printed out, on one side, with large margins and treble line spacing.

• Thanks for the info. In today's technology, some want you to send your work via email. I looked at my story without the header and it looked way off and I was thinking. Glad they have people who can sort this out because even though it's my own work it would confuse me if I didn't know where the next page began.

• Due to the nature of things like mass spam, most genuine publishing houses still like it all the traditional way. Through a letterbox.

http://www.novel-writing-help.com/submitting-a-manuscript.html

There is also this advice >>   http://editorialass.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/why-you-should-never-submit-unagented.html

Do be careful of who you bother approaching because some will say "wow! please send us some sample chapters!" Then some time later they will say "amazing! our commissioning editor would really like to publish your work! Please send further chapters!" Some time later they will say "astounding! our board of directors and marketing team are very excited about this and are excited about publishing your work! They will get back to ASAP!" And it will go like that for a while, often up to a year. Then you start to get  the, "Please send $300! For (fill in here)." And it goes on like that asking for more and more money for other reasons, with you thinking, "In for a penny, in for a pound. I doubt the end result is nothing other than a POD Proof.

• Thanks be there but didn't do that. Another author had told me pretty much what you said. He added when you pay to have your work put out there you have not really accomplished anything.

• That is only partly true. This is Lulu where at the very most you only have to pay for a Proof at Cost.

But those people unable to design a book around their content can pay Lulu to do it only if they like (and can afford to).

The same applies to Amazon's Createspace.

The difference with Lulu and Createspace and some other places is that you do not have to pay £1000s or many £1000s to get your book 'published' or even just printed. Lulu actually supply a free ISBN and Distribution.

Lulu do not do as I said some do, that is called Vanity Publishing, and with that type at best you end up with a box full of books you can do nothing with and at worst you get nothing for your money. Robbed.

But Createspace, will only charge you around £70 for full Distribution to other retailers if you wish. It's free here.