Is there a kind soul out there who could help sort out my page numbering please?

I am using open office and have finsihed the book file (which is really small) but am going insane after checking all the info on the web and spending hours getting nowhere.

Is there anyone that could take my file and then number the front matter and main body? would I have to pay? any advice would be appreciated as I am truly gonna need therapy!

Tony

(have to close off now but will look forward to any replies when I can resurface- cheers again

Spoiler

Spoiler

Comments

• Tony, just upload your doc here. A gazillion people witll help you. (you can later delete the file.)

• Tony, there is also the option of downloading a template from the beginning of the book creation stage. It's already numbered and formatted. I use it myself since I'm still not that great using Word. And it does work with Open office from what I remember.

• I am using open office and have finsihed the book file (which is really small) but am going insane after checking all the info on the web and spending hours getting nowhere.

But looking at what and where?

http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/category_index/wordprocessing.html

Is there anyone that could take my file and then number the front matter and main body?

Frontmatter is not numbered but the main body usually is and the trick is to use Sections.

would I have to pay? any advice would be appreciated as I am truly gonna need therapy!

The Lulu Templates are okay but you still normally need to know how they work.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Tony, I usually separate the two parts.

I work in MS Word, but Open Office should still permit the same features.

I upload my front matter first as an un-numbered set of pages. This is usually four to eight pages. Remember to set it up carefully -- the first page will be a right hand page, the second will be the back of that leaf, third is front of the next leaf, and so forth.

Then I upload the main body of my work, beginning with page 1. I set up the footers to automatically number my pages for me. I never have to think about them.

By uploading the front matter and THEN the main body, my pages will be in the right order and will create an acceptable Print-Ready File.

As you go through the wizard, and you create the print ready file, you can stop to download it before proceeding (and I recommend that). You can check to make sure that the files are in the right order and that page numbers are where you want them.

Kevin is correct that front matter is normally not numbered. In older reference books, it used to be a custom to number the pages in reverse order, using Roman Numerals, so that the last flypage before the main body would be " i " and the one before that " ii " then " iii " and so forth. If there were lengthy prefaces and forewords, one might get all the way up to "xxxviii" or something like that. In modern times, this custom has abated. No numbers are needed, even in a reference work.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks so much for your kind advice!
  • Many thanks for your help-!
  • Many thanks for helping out here- I have to say I had read most of the articles anyway- but your post really made me have more of a look around as I hate that 'I can't do this" feeling. So eventually I did it! thanks to you and all the other kind people. Regards.
  • Thank you so much for the time taken here- really appreciated. I did eventually sort it out- I had orriginally started with the template as it happens- all is well that ends well eh- ! thanks againfor all this extensive assistance and advice-
  • Don't feel bad about it. Most of here are still learning. I used to post here all the time to get help. Maggie, Ron, Kevin, Danielblue, Skoob, and Jeanpaul all have been very helpful. Most of us check the forums often so if you need anything just let us know.

• Indeed. When I first started to use Lulu I had to buy and learn MS Office because the software I normally used only saved as one kind of file exclusive to it. Very handy if all one wishes to do is print the results on one's own machine! Then I had to print out and OCR scan all my work to .txt and start in MS Word with those files. 

I can often be a lazy learner and there are aspects of Word I know very little about. Over the years I have only learned the options I actually use.

• Thats really good to know, thanks! you guys are all so welcoming and really offered so much help with all the uknowns here.. appreciate the warmth shown thanks!

Tony