Who do I market this novel to?

So I've just published a novel (paperback) on Lulu and I'm in the middle of trying to promote it (without spending too much money). The problem is, I have no clue what specific demographic would want to buy it, because it doesn't fit that easily into any genre or category.

I posted an ad for it in the Shameless Promotion section, you can see it here if you want to, but in short it's about a young woman who discovers she has a parasite in her ovaries, and on her quest to fund its surgical removal ends up involved in an eccentric rich woman's scheme to build a secret city state in Wyoming.

I guess "dark comedy" is the closest it comes to a genre.

It's also marked for "explicit content" and isn't really reccommended for children.

Comments

• First thing I've noticed is no ISBN. That means your only sales will be here on this site. You might try making a video on youtube talking about your new book and providing a link to the page here on this site. It's very limited without the ISBN. You can't ask bookstores to carry it, it won't be added to Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc. I didn't notice the pages but if it meets the requirements I'd revise the project and get the free ISBN from lulu . After buying "1" proof they will sent it to Amazon and other sites. where your sales will have a better change. I would suggest maybe adult comedy? as a listing. Again without the number you are very limited on what you do. It's possible you could buy a few copies and see if a local store will give you a booth and try to sell a few copies there. Maybe test the waters so to speak.

• Glarp wrote:

So I've just published a novel (paperback) on Lulu and I'm in the middle of trying to promote it (without spending too much money). The problem is, I have no clue what specific demographic would want to buy it, because it doesn't fit that easily into any genre or category.

I posted an ad for it in the Shameless Promotion section, you can see it here if you want to, but in short it's about a young woman who discovers she has a parasite in her ovaries, and on her quest to fund its surgical removal ends up involved in an eccentric rich woman's scheme to build a secret city state in Wyoming.

I guess "dark comedy" is the closest it comes to a genre.

It's also marked for "explicit content" and isn't really reccommended for children.

I think what might help your book sell better would be a better cover. The current one, sadly, really gives no clue at all as to the nature or subject of the book.

• Thanks a bunch for the help. I found out I released a pocket book version which was inelligable for sale anywhere but Lulu. Made a new version of the book now. It's here for anyone interested.

• Ok now that you have the ISBN buy a proof copy to make sure that it looks and feels the way that you want. After that come back and click the approve button next to the books project page. Then they will get it on Amazon, BandN etc. As Ron said maybe some work on the cover first before buying the proof but that is up to you. It's your book. I would also suggest making an epud version which no proof is needed to buy and usually gets on Amazon b and n , scribd, and Kobo and more in two weeks or so in my experience. That will give you much more exposure and a better chance to make sales. If you don't know how to make the epud from your document there is help on here as well just ask here in the forum. Best of luck!

• Thanks.

Still, though, anybody got an idea about a specific group to market this to? I know it's a little hard to tell without having read the book, but based on what you guys know, any clue?

• Okay, well, in a cursory look at the preview, possible markets might be:

1.) People with "Ovarian parasites,"

2.) People with strong feelings about "Ovarian parasites,"

3.) People who don't like KFC

4.) People who keep ravens as pets

5.) People who drink too much.

The latter demographic is a good one to consider, since it includes many other demographics.

I agree with Ron that the cover gives a comic-book / cartoon feel to the story.

I would also add that a bit of copy-editing and more conventional paragraphs would not be amiss. The first line contains what I assume is an accidental rhyme, and it detracts from the flow, especially since the first line should be drawing the reader into the storyline.

I hope that's helpful.