Cover Page Designing - Wizard

Hello all,

I am still applying (hopefully) finishing touches to the text of my book. The book creation process at Lulu requires me to upload the book before reaching the cover design section. Now, I wanted my wife (who knows some graphic art, and I don't) to get famiiar with the cover design tool (I'm fine giving her my login/ password) and prepare a cover while I am finishing up the text. But, I don't see any way to reach that part of the process before the book is uploaded.

Is there a way to parallelly process the cover creation while the book is being written? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Sid

Comments

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher Teacher

There is no way to get to the cover wizard unless you have started with the publishing process. Once there is really isn't that difficult and no graphic design is necessary or really used. There are templates to download if you want where she could design a cover that you could upload. You also could have her design a jpg of the correct size and you could upload at the wizard. Basically the wizard consists of templates at the top of the page. You can which one you want to use and within the template are various layouts. There are links to change font size , type , and color if you wish. Also to upload a photo to use on the front or back cover. Here is a video showing how it's used on the wizard. But if your wife is good enough and knows how she can make a once piece cover using the templates you can download and make pdf and upload that. You can look at my links to my books below and see some of the things I did with the wizard using photos etc. The cover for Daddy who's that man was done by Ron Miller though not me. He's a professional artist. But watch this video and see what is involved. https://youtu.be/xoMxTo9ssJ8

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

Start the creation process, and upload the PDF file of your text to Lulu when you are prompted to. Then leave Lulu. Let your wife do or complete the front-cover picture in slightly larger dimensions than those of the book as prescribed by Lulu. When she has finished, and converted the picture in JPG, even several days later, return to your project and resume the process by accepting things as they have been left so far (unless you have changed your mind). The program should then take you to the cover wizard. 

• Thank you both.

To be clear, I can change the PDF of the book after the cover has been worked on in the wizard, correct?

In that case, I can simply upload the incomplete book pretending it is the real book, work on the cover and then simply replace the book PDF once I am done, correct?

Appreciate the help,

-Sid

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher Teacher

I think so Sid. I hadn't thought of uploading an incomplete file to get to the wizard. If you are wanting to have it distributed you'll have to have an ISBN. The wizard offers you a free one from lulu which needs to be added to your copyright page of the document that you upload later when you'r done editing. So yeah basically using an incomplete document can get you to the cover wizard. Just save your progress I think at the upper left corner. Later click revise and delete the incomplete document and upload the finished one with the ISBN. You have the choice also of buying one or using one of your own.

• Thank you very much. I'll do that!

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

sidd_d a écrit :

Thank you both.

You are welcome.

To be clear, I can change the PDF of the book after the cover has been worked on in the wizard, correct?

Yes, this will be a revision.

In that case, I can simply upload the incomplete book pretending it is the real book, work on the cover and then simply replace the book PDF once I am done, correct?

Yes, you can do that; it's called a revision. But what's the point?