Big News

Good day, everybody. I haven't been active that much on the forums because I been grinding. All of my novels are revised and no problems plague them. Firstly, my sixth book "Superhuman: Book One" is now available for purchase. It has been distributed to other retail channels as well, so if you want you can snag that up. The Lulu link is here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/shamir-sherman/superhuman-book-one/ebook/product-22640674.html

On that note, I have two novels in development that are releasing on my eighteenth birthday. Those titles are "Maliki and Me" and "The Truth of the Truth." The covers are attached for viewing. These are my seventh and eighth books respectively. The seventh is a special one. I can't tell you anything because that's under development. I keep my work very confidential until its release. The eighth is basically a memoir of my life, of how I started writing and sorts. Its going to be great. So, this summer going to be heavily at work because of this. Let me know how you guys like it and don't hesitate to holler if there's something to be fixed. Good day to y'all.

Comments

• I will comment only on Maliki & Me for the moment. The pea soup green is repellent and the image seems to have been compressed to make it fit the cover proportions. I would rethink the color choice and I would not alter the aspect ratio of the photo.

• I didn't compress it really, a matter of resizing in order to better fit the man's head. And the color choice is more theme centric.
  • The weird compression of the cover picture was obvious to me in milliseconds; it would look much more professional without it.  If necessary, lose part of the adult's shoulder so you can widen the picture.

Stephen

• Any demonstration/example as to how I can execute that?
  • The green is unnecessary and the image has been stretched up deforming it, and there's no real reason for it. There's no reason the whole title cannot go across the top with your name at the bottom and the image between them. And a better image. That one is too blurred.

The second cover is much better.  But red on black does not always POD well. I'm not keen on how the shadow in the image blends in to the border/background, and what does "100% Uncensored" mean? Who would get the chance to censor a self-published book? That's not even been published yet has it?

• Has not yet.

• raymondkhali wrote:
    Has not yet.

And who can? No offence, but it's a strange thing to put on a book, until it's happened, and this is the uncensored version of a print run that has been.

• Will be happening though. But on another note, I have a concept to revise the first cover. I'm considering using the original image but framing it and using a light background, therefore I'll be able to have more space when using the title.
  • Attached is the concept I want to use. I'm going to leave it framed so I can add a white background to it.
  • Here's another variant as well.
  • Untitled-1.jpg

You would probably do well to lose the borders entirely. You also need to color correct the image so that the colors look more natural.

I agree with the others: there is really no way in which a POD book can be censored. I can imagine a scenario in which you published libelous material, in which case you could be legally forced to suspend publication or revise the text...but this is not censorship. Libel can only be brought against you if you write something that is both provably untrue and damaging. Simply because someone doesn't like what you wrote doesn't mean they can bring a charge of libel against you.

• What I actually mean by the uncensored thing is this: I'm not actually trying to physically censor myself, its something a lot of people will take out of context but what I really mean by the term is that I'm not afraid to speak my mind in the novel. I'm not trying to sugarcoat or find ways to layer on anything. I'm telling it how it is. That's what the uncensored means to me. If that tagline is a problem, then I can get rid of it. As for the image, its an old image. Its at least 16 years old so that's why the colors look off.

• raymondkhali wrote:
    What I actually mean by the uncensored thing is this: I'm not actually trying to physically censor myself, its something a lot of people will take out of context but what I really mean by the term is that I'm not afraid to speak my mind in the novel. I'm not trying to sugarcoat or find ways to layer on anything. I'm telling it how it is. That's what the uncensored means to me. If that tagline is a problem, then I can get rid of it. As for the image, its an old image. Its at least 16 years old so that's why the colors look off.

People who have never seen the photo before will not know that it is 16 years old. They will take it at face value. You should adjust it if you can.

Based on all the comments you've gotten, you might want to look for a better word than "uncensored" since obviously it can be misunderstood. 

• Will make the image at a face level once I get home. As for the tagline, I might just make it 100% unscripted and leave out the uncensored. Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to sharing my improvements.
  • I understood what you meant by uncensored, but by the other replies, I suppose that meaning has fallen out of use.
  • It has indeed. Might get rid of the tagline completely
  • How's this image crop?
  • Will be happening though.

Who by and why? If it contains state secrets it may be. If it tells personal secrets of people who object to it, you may be sued, not censored. Just what is in it? I would still remove the claim, though. It's often claimed as a joke.

• khaliofficial wrote:
    Attached is the concept I want to use. I'm going to leave it framed so I can add a white background to it.

What am I looking at? It's not the same shape as your cover.

• khaliofficial wrote:
    Here's another variant as well.

What's the reason for it being such a poor image?

• You would probably do well to lose the borders entirely. You also need to color correct the image so that the colors look more natural.

Ron is correct, it will of course not need a border if the background is a contrast, even just all white.

• I'm planning to make it like in a picture and with a white background. Like it's going to be retouched and will be framed. A prime example of a framed picture on a book cover would be this I got attached. It'll have the title at the top, the picture in the middle and maybe my name at the bottom.
  • The first was better.

khaliofficial wrote:
    How's this image crop?

khaliofficial wrote:
    How's this image crop?

• Your crop or my crop?