Thoughts about blurbs

I'm starting to work on covers and blurbs for my next novel, which has the working Title, The Atheist's Tale. It is the story of a group of college students who decide to get to the bottom of the question of religion.

For the blurb, I have two ideas. One is to introduce some characters and give teasers about their roles in this drama, like this:

Sarah Miller would like to spend her college years undisturbed by Christians and superstitions. Alicia Marlowe would like to know the truth about God. Nick Carlson dreams of a world without religion. Brittany Salzburg wants the world to know what God has done for her. Professor Winter wants his dreams to make more sense. Doctor Marcion dreams of a world without Professor Winter.

Is it possible that so many people, moving in so many directions, can discover and reveal the truth about religion and its place in a modern world?

Alternatively, I am considering throwing in a few paragraphs from one of the scenes and seeing if they will grab the readers' attention:

“There are three things that are never satisfied;” Solomon  began,” and four that never say, ‘enough.’ But we shall speak of only one of these tonight: The grave.”  His grin became serious. “What does a man gain, if he spends his life in the most majestic of pursuits, only to die and be forgotten?” He paused, looking to his fellow panelists for comments and support. 

Jack cleared his throat. “If I may,” he said, gesturing with the empty pipe, “The Romans had a saying, Memento Mori. It means ‘Remember, you shall die.’ Now, we cannot completely know what it meant to them…”

“It means that this obscene life is an obscene joke!” shouted Franz. “It means that our high philosophical traditions come from the pig sty! That’s what drives a man: Base ambitions and lusts!”

“Franz!” remonstrated Leo, putting his hand on Franz’ arm.

Thoughts, comments, war stories?

Blue blurb, or green blurb? Right format, wrong content? General ideas? Specific Ideas?

Comments