Your Favourite Character and Why

I recently picked up a book at Chapters, a simple book, nothing to boggle the mind. My only prerequisite was that it be good. That's all. Well, when I started reading it I thought, what a simple book; it's juvenile. Gosh, I think I wasted my money. Naturally, because I'd paid and was desperate for something unwork-related to read, I gave it another couple of pages.

It turned out to be subtle but brilliant. The main character was so beautiful and humble that he didn't even know he was a genius. He kept telling us how dumb he was--but he was smarter than anyone else, and developed as a human being. Unforgettable Olav. From Blood in Snow.

Yes, I feel changed because I met him. One of those who remains a fabric of who you have become after you've read a book.

Who is your favourite newest character in a book and why?

Comments

• I recently picked up a book at Chapters, a simple book, nothing to boggle the mind. My only prerequisite was that it be good. That's all. Well, when I started reading it I thought, what a simple book; it's juvenile. Gosh, I think I wasted my money. Naturally, because I'd paid and was desperate for something unwork-related to read, I gave it another couple of pages.

It turned out to be subtle but brilliant.

Ah! Yes I often find the same thing. Read a chapter or two and find a story hard to get in to, even boring, and then it lifts off. It's often at the former point that most people would possibly stop reading.

The main character was so beautiful and humble that he didn't even know he was a genius. He kept telling us how dumb he was--but he was smarter than anyone else, and developed as a human being. Unforgettable Olav. From Blood in Snow.

Gosh, that sounds a bit depressing.

Yes, I feel changed because I met him. One of those who remains a fabric of who you have become after you've read a book.

I just read fiction as entertainment. It does not change me. I wonder how many feel the same?

Who is your favourite newest character in a book and why?

Because you add "newest" makes it possibly difficult. I am often reading or re-reading fiction decades old. Within those I think every key person (and there are lots of them!) in the Discworld series have to be my favorites.

Good grief, I just found this on line in a search >>

I did that!

But the newest book in the series has Tiffany Aching as the main character, but she's not new. familiarity with a character could turn one in to an on-going and present favorite, until another turns up.

• Kevin, you're wonderful. Thank you for answering.

The Discworld Series?

Now I'm going to have to look it up.

• Oh, Terry Pratchet. He's very famous and has written a million books.

Can you recommend one to me?

• Oh, Terry Pratchet. He's very famous and has written a million books.

Listed as one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century, with a massive industry built around him and his worlds by other people, and sadly died not long ago.

Can you recommend one to me?

Gosh, that's a hard one! He's been a published writer since he was 13!

Start at the start of Discworld with  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colour_of_Magic

But he did not only write Discworld stories. So >>   http://www.fictiondb.com/author/terry-pratchett~27943.htm

Smiley Very Happy

• Well, Jean-Louise Finch is a favorite of mine, because she simply says what she thinks.

Travis McGee's buddy Meyer, with his odd charm and his peculiar conscience, is a good fellow to know.

Archie Goodwin is one of the characters in literature that has had a big influence on me, personally. But I think I could be friends with Lon Cohen or Saul Panzer, as well. I might even teach 'em a thing or two about poker.

• It's only fiction you know.

• Don't give me no friction

'Bout my taste in fiction.

Smiley Tongue

• I have not read many of Terry Pratchett's books, but one I have read a couple of times is Witches Abroad. So I would recommend it.

• You should read them all.  Smiley Happy