Guess the Book Challenge

Give two quotes from a famous book, and see who can guess where it's from. Research is allowed.

My two quotes from one book:

Big girls, they don’t cry-yi-yi.

“Mothers are full of sh--,” Miss Lee observed...

Comments

• Is the first not from a song? So a quote from a book that's quoting a song?

And the second puzzles me because Miss Lee was the sister of the writer of To Kill a Mockingbird, which I have nether read nor seen.   Smiley Happy

How's this then?

"The visitor was extremely tall and his face was as fierce as his arms were strong. His red eyes glowered from beneath great bristly eyebrows and over his broad chest hung a green beard, as big as a bush."

That is if I still remember when this is replied to!

• Yours is from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?

Mine is from The Confederacy of Dunces.

• Yours is from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?

Indeed it is. Well done.

Sorry, not heard of that or the writer. It just shows how useless typing lines from books can be in Search.  Smiley Very Happy

Hows this >> 

"It had now eaten - The cat, the dog, Mrs. Jones."

• Well, the second quote is from Confederacy of Dunces.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Sorry, not heard of that or the writer. It just shows how useless typing lines from books can be in Search.  Smiley Very Happy

You need to drop everything and read that book right now.

• Kevin, it only took me 2 seconds to find the answer using search. Just which search engine are you using?

"It had now eaten - The cat, the dog, Mrs. Jones." is from your book The Couch. Again it took less than 2 seconds to find the answer.

• You need to drop everything and read that book right now.

Not at all my type of story judging by its description. I read SF.

• Kevin, it only took me 2 seconds to find the answer using search. Just which search engine are you using?

I use Bing and AOL, the latter being a Google engine, but I only looked at what was listed on the first page of 1000s.

"It had now eaten - The cat, the dog, Mrs. Jones." is from your book The Couch. Again it took less than 2 seconds to find the answer.

Well done! Again I have just searched for that and it did not find it. But it was of course a trick question, it's not exactly a classic.

Ah yes, using Google itself it found my book, but I will start to use Google when they start to pay tax in the UK.  Smiley Very Happy

• I did think Kevins might be "Gawain" but my first thought was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone.

• "No please," she said, "Just tell me how to get out."

"I can do it with my back turned," he said, and did.

• Skoob, is yours from Go Set a Watchman?

• Hrmm, a bit off the subject, but interesting. After finding an almost 10% preview of Just a Couch via using Google to search, I later thought, ah, Google Book Search Enabled, a Lulu option, and indeed that book does have it enabled. But then I tried another line from another of my books that does not have Google Book Search Enabled and that too came up with a very large Preview only using Google's search engine. Far greater than one would really want in a Preview, and seeing as it's not enabled for the second book I tried, why is it there when it cannot be found using other search engines? What gives Google the right to preview big lumps of books when Book Search is not even enabled for it?

Thankfully it's not really a type of search that anyone who has not read the books can do.

• Em_Press wrote:

Skoob, is yours from Go Set a Watchman?

Yes, darn it. How did you get that?

It reads like a perfect non sequitur out of context.