Selling To Friends & Family ONLY

Comments

• You can buy as many copies as you want at author's price / cost price.

• Hello Samuel,

Why not make the book Direct Access? This means that only the people you give the link to will be able to see and buy the book.

There is a backlash to having your book Private Access. A few years back all private projects were deleted (authors were given 12 months warning at least) if dormant for a long time. Something along those lines.

Also, why be handling other people's money? It's better if they pay for the book and shipping and taxes.

• I reviewed the Direct Access option and honestly prefer not to make royalties off of the book itself. My understanding is that I have to set myself up within the system and I would prefer not to do that being that only a few close friends want the book.

In any of the three options you can choose not to add anything to the actual Cost price.

I have known that Lulu does often delete projects that are private.

They have? I don't see how Lulu can know about the content of them unless a person uses the 'report this' option on the Spotlights, and seeing as Private is private, who else but the creator can see that Spotlight? Do they report themselves? I am sure that Lulu staff do have the ability to view anything on Lulu's site, but they would first need to know they have a need to pry.

But, my question was more based on the fact of making a project private, but then selling it anyways to who I choose.

Indeed, wernt our replies?  Smiley Happy 

For the money part, I guess I prefer someone pay me for the book, fees, and taxes, and then I can go into Lulu and can have a copy sent to them. Somehow it just seems easier to me.

Yes. You can do that set on Private, but above you said you do not want to make any money from the book. In my view Lulu misuse the word Royalty when they mean Profit.

• @kevinlomas - private projects that have not been purchased in the past 6 months are subject to deletion. See Lulu Retention Guidelines here: http://www.lulu.com/about/legal#retentionGuidelines

Direct Access content can be sold at manufacturing cost if you choose not make any profit on the sale. The same is true for general access books sold only on Lulu as long as they do not have an ISBN. The addition of an ISBN requires a retail markup.

• I recall a missive to tell us that any unfinished Projects would be deleted after 21 weeks (or was it days?) if no activity was detected on them, apart from Yearbook Projects, the latter not seeming to be an individual Project option now.

It is fair to delete Private objects on Spotlights, though, that are inactive, because many of them are one-off creations cluttering up the servers. Are the files used to create them also removed?

Indeed, and if one opts for an ISBN, and able to not add a profit, the places that they are distributed to will add a mark-up to them anyway. Writer would get nothing, retailer would. Smiley Surprised

• @kevinlomas

Come on man - you have been here for over 10 years - as you recently mentioned.

You can add an ISBN without sending a book into distribution, but doing so automatically adds a retail markup if you choose to sell the book on Lulu.com. Of course authors do not pay retail price, so even if the book included an ISBN and was set to Private Access folowing publication, the author would still pay manufacturing cost when purchasing their own book.

But, this has nothing to do with the author's question.

• Come on man - you have been here for over 10 years - as you recently mentioned.

It seems longer.

You can add an ISBN without sending a book into distribution,

There's three options, one adds an ISBN and distribution, the other two do not. Where's the option to add an ISBN but not Dist? Granted those options can be Revised, but after the Wizard has finished. So does a book not go in to Dist right away when the Wizard has completed? How long is the delay before it's too late to change the options? Will it not end up at Amazon and then almost immediately be listed as unavailable? Well after a week or more anyway.

but doing so automatically adds a retail markup if you choose to sell the book on Lulu.com.

But is that not removed if no ISBN and Dist are later selected?

Of course authors do not pay retail price, so even if the book included an ISBN and was set to Private Access folowing publication, the author would still pay manufacturing cost when purchasing their own book.

Obviously.

But, this has nothing to do with the author's question.

Well it was.  But perhaps not with the actual OP.