A lot of new work is on the way...

Hello everyone, its been some the since I've been active on the fourms, but I'm back. I'm doing just alright, I'm hanging in there. So far, I have three books listed on the Lulu Marketplace which are also on major retail distributors such as Amazon, Kobo, etc. Those titles are "The Ballad of Sidney Hill", "The Undocumented Struggle", and "Obsession" which are in both eBook and paperback form. If you want to buy them, search up my titles in the marketplace, and let me know how you like them. Now, the real reason why I'm here--to touch base on some things. Firstly, these will not be the last of the books I write, they never will. I got four well, actually ten books in development, and I'm sixteen, a junior in high school. I'm releasing four throughout late 2015 to 2016, and others will come later I guess. They're going to be very good ones, and I'm confident in the message that my work will hopefully bring. "The Ballad of Sidney Hill 2", which is the fourth one of mines, and the sequel to " The Ballad of Sidney Hill", will bring back a lot of memories and unanswered questions from the previous entry. That will make it's way to you by October 26, which is the same date I first published "The Ballad of Sidney Hill", about a year ago. The fifth title of mines, "Ghanport's Finest", is going to be an extremely good one. Its actually the largest book I have written yet, it took about four months to write and possibly more time to revise, but it'll be done. That's coming in early 2016, it will be a game changing book. "Superhuman: Book One", which will be my sixth book is going to be good too. I'm still developing that one, as its in its early stages into full production, so I'm figuring out how the whole hook of the story will go. That's coming in mid 2016 maybe. And there's "Maliki and Me", which is basically a small tribute to my deceased father, but with a twist. I'm using him as a character, can't reveal too much, but the similarities will be there. That's gonna be in late 2016. Attached are the covers, so show your friends and family, because I'm coming out with a lot of new work over the course of seventeen months. Stay tuned and if there are any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to holler. Good day to you all! Smiley Happy

Comments

• Congratulations!

(By the way, you should attach your cover art so it will appear in your post. I'm not willing to download a series of 3.5 Mb files.)

• I'll keep that in mind next time, haha. Thanks for the feedback.
  • I don't like downloading such things either, but if you right click the little arrows then click Open in new Tab/Window that also works.

I looked at two. The text seems to have been added as an afterthought. On one it's crammed up in to the top right corner as if afraid to be seen.

• Well, that works. Thanks, Kevin.

Two of the covers are quite nice. Superhuman would look better, though if there were more contrast between the title and the artwork. Black is not a very good choice against such a dark background. You also do not need to add "by" to your name.

Sidney Hill is also nice...but I don't understand the overwhelmingly large red "2." 

The other two could use a little more serious tweaking.

The title of Maliki & Me is crammed into the space at the top as though it were an afterthought (with the "i" perched right on top of the man's head). Instead, use the large empty space in the upper left.

Ghanport needs the most work. All of the Photoshop filters have already made the photo of the gun difficult to read...but then the image was distorted (apparently) to fit the space. Like Maliki, the title has been crammed into the top of the cover...and with two too many typefaces.

• Thanks for the feedback. The Sidney cover, as for the 2, that defies the significance that the sequel will bring. Superhuman cover, I can fix that, change the color of the title because black is underwhelming. Ghanport's Finest will probably take some time, and I'll have to get rid of the filters and redo it. But again, thanks and when I finish editing the covers, I can show off. I'll also fix the Maliki and Me one as well.
  • Alright. I have revised three covers. I've darkened the Superhuman background to better suit a lighter font and also, the skies are portrayed as a sunset. Maliki and Me's title has been enlarged and utilizes the space at the top and it doesn't cram into the design of my father's head. Ghanport's Finest has been tweaked significantly, with the blinding filters eliminated and instead is darkened a little, more genuine and dynamic, with the AK-47 being more visible. The title has been also expanded and uses a gradient fill in the text, giving it a slight glow, because of the setting that the book will take place in, it gives off that bright scape vibe. Again, I'm sorry for not attaching the cover to the post as I'm typing this from my smart phone. Let me know how you like it, and if there any suggestions or concerns, I'm all open for it.

EDIT: Moved the Maliki and Me title to the empty space on the left, not crammed at the top anymore.
  • "Superhuman" is much, much better! Excellent!

"Maliki & Me" is also much improved. You might want to experiment with putting the title in more than one line...that way you could make it even larger.

MALIKI

& ME

or

MALIKI

&

ME

"Ghanport" is a little better, but still has some problems. In no particular order:

Three fonts is too many. One for the title and one for your name is more than enough.

The title is still crammed into the top.

The AK-47 still looks distorted. Combined with the entire gun not being visible, this makes it really hard to make out, especially to someone who might not be familiar with the subject. I'd suggest trying to find a substitute image. And make sure that whatever image you use leaves enough room for the type.

• I'll fix the Maliki and Me one right away. As for Ghanport's Finest, I will probably have to fins a substitute image because when I was editing it, the reason its distorted because its designated to fit the cover size. It was resized, therefore making it look distorted. So I will have to find a more suitable image for Ghanport. Will update soon.
  • Alright. Attached is the updated Maliki and Me cover. And I also have two images I want to use for Ghanport's Finest. I'm thinking about using the one with the AK gauge.

• raymondkhali wrote:
    Alright. Attached is the updatedMaliki and Me cover. And I also have two images I want to use for Ghanport's Finest. I'm thinking about using the one with the AK gauge.

First one. Reduce the size of the image so the text can be larger. Reducing it will also help hide the postscript newspaper print effect.

Cut around the image to make it all white because due to that postscript effect it looks like there are dirty finger prints in one corner and right across the bottom.

You name should come after the title. Some say it should say By, some say it should not.

The name and title should not be crammed up like that. Put your name down the bottom.

Use a reduced image to allow for the title to be larger across the top.

Stay well away from the edges with text or it may get trimmed off.

Second one. Not sure what you want us to say with that, it's not a cover. A strong image though, but from where?

Third One. (logged me out of Lulu!) again not a cover, and how many people would know what that is? And also where is that one from?

• Alright. I have revised both covers respectively. Probably the last revision. For Maliki and me, I enlarged it a little bit and moved away from the edge, and also moved my name to the bottom. The reason why it looks like it has fingerprints is because the photo is very old, about sixteen years old nearly and I want to give the cover that vintage feel. For Ghanport's Finest, I decided to go with the second image. The image is actually the top of an AK 47, and it's like when you open it up or whatever (not a gun fanatic) there's the numbers that you can probably either reload or clock it back. I made it clearer and there are no filters, but I did make way with a little contrast tweaking and such. I moved my name to the bottom left of the cover. You would have to go to these file hosting websites I'm about to include in the post, because the file sizes are pretty large and I don't want anyone experiencing lag.

Ghanport's Finest (final)

EDIT: I need more time editing Maliki and Me. That includes a different filter, and a resized image.

• Alright. Maliki and Me has been edited extensively. First, I resized the image, getting rid of excess space that was previously in older versions of the cover. I'm using the same fonts, but with a different color scheme. I changed the filter, making it look less washed out and reminiscent to an old vintage photograph. You can view that here.

Maliki and Me Final Cover

• Came right through, with the final cover of Ghanport's Finest. Gone is that misunderstood AK and there's something more simplicity, which will really capture the theme of the novel. There's a cool filter, too.

Ghanport's Finest Final Cover

• raymondkhali wrote:

Alright. Maliki and Me has been edited extensively. First, I resized the image, getting rid of excess space that was previously in older versions of the cover. I'm using the same fonts, but with a different color scheme. I changed the filter, making it look less washed out and reminiscent to an old vintage photograph. You can view that here.

Maliki and Me Final Cover

A suggestion or two...

Untitled-1.jpg

• A hundred times better!!!  Smiley Happy

But why, oh why, did you put your name in an Old English font? It's hard enough to read as it is, but it will be impossible at thumbnail size.

• Lol. Thanks for editing that Maliki one for me, I'll reflect that in my next update. I used old English because the storyline is rather ghetto like, well it is ghetto, haha. So, I used that to capture the theme of the story I want to tell. But again, thanks for the feedback. I gotta thank Kevin too, it has helped me tremendously and I'll keep you guys info in mind in terms of designing covers in the near future! Smiley Very Happy

• raymondkhali wrote:
    Lol. Thanks for editing that Maliki one for me, I'll reflect that in my next update. I used old English because the storyline is rather ghetto like, well it is ghetto, haha. So, I used that to capture the theme of the story I want to tell. But again, thanks for the feedback. I gotta thank Kevin too, it has helped me tremendously and I'll keep you guys info in mind in terms of designing covers in the near future! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the nice words! I was very glad I was able to help out!

I understand your reasoning about using Old English, but readabliity is more important. I think you got across the ghetto theme in the art and that's sufficient.

Good luck with your books!

• Sorry, I don't understand the use of an Old English font. The period is not the same and I doubt it is England.

I would suggest a graffiti-like font.

BTW. I ask where your images are from because I wonder if they are someone else's copyright.

• I don't know why I used it lol, it looks nice to me. But if it is a problem, I can make it into a different font. I'm using creative commons photos.
  • Read the small print. Such things are not always for commercial use, and the other problem is that even if they are they could be in use by 1000s.

• Very true. That's a possibility. Nonetheless, I'm fine with my cover. If there are any suggestions or concerns, im available.

• raymondkhali wrote:
    Very true. That's a possibility. Nonetheless, I'm fine with my cover. If there are any suggestions or concerns, im available.

Don't dismiss Kevin's suggestion out of hand. You do need to be absolutely, 100% certain of your rights to use a photo. The possible consequences of not doing so can be unpleasant. It is not up to the copyright owner to complain...it's up to you to get things right.

• I've did some searching around for the photo, looking into it extensively and it came from a website titled Coolchaser.com, which is creative commons and specializes in Facebook and MySpace backgrounds. The backgrounds do not state any photographer names, which is pretty anonymous.
  • http://www.coolchaser.com/message/dmca_policy

There's vast number of content on that site that is copyrighted by other parties, not by the poster.