We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Does Lulu get revenue if author orders book?

For instance, let's say a book is for $10 and it costs $1 to make it and Lulu gets $2 out of every sale purchased by a customer. 

How much does Lulu earn if the author themselves buys the book (so they can sell it themselves in person)?

Would the author still have to pay for a Lulu revenue of $2, or would the author only pay for the cost of production plus shipping? (Since technically the customer did not buy through Lulu)

I am very confused and not so good with numbers.

Comments

• The author only pays the manufacturing cost (plus shipping) when they purchase their own books. Authors may also take advantage of published discounts when ordering to save even more.

• Just found it weird that my old book back in 2013 pays for Lulu revenue, but my new book does not. Thought it was a glitch. Thank you, Ken! x

• Self-purchases of your book should not pay author revenue if you are logged into your account when you make the purchase.

• Book cost - I'm confused…too

Has Lulu changed the pricing for authors when buy their own books? Old post by Community Moderator in 2013: “As the author, you will still be able to purchase it at the manufacturing cost.” (and another in 2015)

For the last 3 years I have been working on my next book and have not purchased any of my books for a long time. On “My Author Spotlight” page I have one published book with 264 pages (retail $27.50) that has a manufacturing cost of $9.32 but if I want to purchase it the cost is $12.10 for me to buy a copy; that is almost 30% above the manufacturing cost. Another book on “My Author Spotlight” page: 108 pages; retail $19.50; Manufacturing cost $4.64 but my cost to buy the book is $8.02. That is a cost increase of $3.38 over manufacturing cost or 72% added cost.

So, did Lulu add a big fee for authors buying their own book or is this some kind of error on “My Author Spotlight” page?

My Spotlight is www.lulu.com/ruble

• I don't know if Lulu has changed their prices, but in fact they sometimes even go down, but Cost is what Lulu charge you for your books when logged in, it's not what they cost Lulu to have made, it's what Lulu charge you for your book. Lulu is a profit making business or it would not be able to be 'free'.  Smiley Happy

I assume you mean this book? >>  http://www.lulu.com/shop/ron-ruble/arms-armour-of-archduke-eugen-1927-auction-catalog/hardcover/product-2856726.html 

It's showing me this >>  Price: £26.27 (excl. VAT)  Not $27.50. Would it not be far far more in US$s? Around $39?

But, going off at a tangent for a moment, what does it mean excluding VAT? I am logged in as UK and displaying UK Sterling,  and there is no VAT on printed books, only e-books. ( No one knows why they made that law.)

• I was buying the books at cost in the past but it changed or there is an error on spotlight. Hummmmm.

If it is not an error, it would be cheaper per book to find a way to buy through ISBN and get paid revenue for the book.

Your approx $39 is the hard cover book on Spotlight; soft cover is $27.50

Link you posted does not work for me - becasue you are in the UK and I am in the US?

So...is this out of date?

“When purchasing copies of your own material (with the account used to create it) you only have to pay the manufacturing cost and shipping.”

Lulu link

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Ordering/Do-I-get-a-discount-when-buying-my-own-content-Do-I-have-to-pay/ta-p/31585

• I was buying the books at cost in the past but it changed or there is an error on spotlight. Hummmmm.

You do have to be logged in to buy at creator Cost. When you are logged in and on one of your book's Spotlight pages it will show at the top the price you can buy for. (Strangely, below that option it also says Download Free. What? A paperback?! Actually it takes one to the PR PDF files. A silly option of one wants the printed one!)

If it is not an error, it would be cheaper per book to find a way to buy through ISBN and get paid revenue for the book.

It could even cost more because retailers charge whatever they like. I am right now looking at one of my books on my Spotlight and also on Amazon and it is the same price though. But other retailers on Amazon ... well see for yourself >>    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1326384163/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1444948563&sr=1-4

But never forget that all prices are set at Cost + whatever you add for profit.

Your approx $39 is the hard cover book on Spotlight; soft cover is $27.50

I looked at both. I thought they were very expensive, but that's just my opinion.

Link you posted does not work for me - becasue you are in the UK and I am in the US?

I am not sure that should make a difference, but it will no longer work for me either! It says no such page, and yet I pasted the address off the page.

So...is this out of date?

“When purchasing copies of your own material (with the account used to create it) you only have to pay the manufacturing cost and shipping.”

Gosh, that link is to a Help page that's six years old!  The phraseology here can be a bit strange at times. It would not make sound business sense if Lulu did not add something and one has to assume that's counted in Manufacturing cost (and Lulu do not actually make the books.) I doubt they add much, but I bet they do add something. I am surprised Lulu staff have not replied to you further yet. Many people come here to create just one book for themselves. If Lulu did not add something to the cost creators pay when logged in, they would soon go bust.

• Do you have to buy copy’s I order to sell them online or does lulu make copy’s and sell them? 
  • I am a new comer and want to publish my very own book. Let’s ay I want 35 books to selled do I have to pay for them I order for me to sell them online or does lulu create 35 books just to sell books online and If I have to pay how do I have to pay In order for it be selled online. Also I just wanted to know if you have to buy your own book in order to sell them online or lulu just makes the copy and sell them? 
  • All of our books are printed on demand. What that means is we do not print any books in anticipation of sales - rather we print a book when someone orders it. With this model, you never have to pre-buy anything and we collect the printing cost direct from the buyer.
    We do allow authors to buy copies of their own book at cost, so you can always buy some copies to sell directly (at any price you want). From my experience, most of our authors do both - they sell online and buy some copies to hold and sell by hand.