Odds and Ends

You know, I spent most the night re-formatting my document, but I've run into a small problem. I don't know if my poor computer isn't running the program fast enough even though I close windows and erase un-needed files but using word 13 the document seems to reach a point of decentagration where you can never get it, "Just right?" Anyone else experiancing this? I know there were some hyphen mistakes in the other document but if you want to peek at the latest one.

https://app.box.com/s/hi5uu0zu9990l0nc9g3eyh09lnp5e38t

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

The speed a PC will run at does not effect what you type in to Word.

What does decentagration mean?

How does a person turn sweet 16 again?

I am puzzled why you need to ask us because your PDF says it's co-written and even edited. (And editors are not mentioned on a title page, even when they are mentioned.

BTW. You do know what Grinder is now known as? http://grindr.com/    Smiley Very Happy

• Bolter1224Bolter1224 Creator Creator

If you actually read the book it explains everything. Turning 16 again re-occurred later on in the novel after a time traveling premonition. As far as your rules? I really am trying my hardest to please. Nobody has anything to say until they themselves are so schooled is the ways of writing a book decide to insist on picking things apart. As far as the Grindr, I'm sure your massive enternet knowledge base serves you well. But, the two have nothing at all to do with one another. Right?

As far as the disintegration, it just means that sometimes I have to argue with the program to get it to respond the way I would like it to. The document is over 150,000 words, and by the way? How do you know so much about computers if you can't even understand what disintegration is? But, to answer your question, I would say, "It's when the document starts to act on its own or fall apart. Does that help?"

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher Teacher

I have had cases where files started to have problems -- fonts would change, or parts would reformat without my instructions. Sometimes this was due to having a lot of font changes and formatting, and usually encryption.

If that's what you mean, my solution was to cut and paste the text into a new document.

"Edit" "select all"

"File" "new"

"Edit" "paste"

"File" "save as ..."

You can also clean up a file, if there's too much formatting, remnants of bold / italics / other stuff -- you can cut and paste it into a pure text editor, such as Notepad, and then cut and paste back into a Word document.

I also always back up my stories onto a USB drive, so that if my hard drive goes bad, I won't lose my stories.

If your files are too big, and they seem to take a long time to load, you might want to work in two files (Part I / Part II). When you upload them to Lulu, as long as you upload them in order, Lulu's wizard will glue them together.

I hope that helps.

If you actually read the book it explains everything. Turning 16 again re-occurred later on in the novel after a time traveling premonition.

Fair enough, it's a puzzling thing to read in the first paragraph of a story.

As far as your rules?

I mentioned no rules.

I really am trying my hardest to please. Nobody has anything to say until they themselves are so schooled is the ways of writing a book decide to insist on picking things apart.

You mean about what is on your Title Page? They are valid comments and nothing to do with the actual writing of the story, but did you not ask for an opinion? but you have a co-writer and an editor to give you those.

As far as the Grindr, I'm sure your massive enternet knowledge base serves you well. But, the two have nothing at all to do with one another. Right?

No I am sure they do not, but it's simple word association. Also it's actually mostly a smart phone app.

As far as the disintegration, it just means that sometimes I have to argue with the program to get it to respond the way I would like it to. The document is over 150,000 words, and by the way? How do you know so much about computers if you can't even understand what disintegration is?

You actually typed "decentagration". But to do with PCs? It must be some new meaning. It's usually called Corruption.

A strange problem I have with Word is when viewed with two pages side by side and I scroll back up to see the top of the next page, the lines of text are all overlapped. Scrolling past it then back down cures that.

But, to answer your question, I would say, "It's when the document starts to act on its own or fall apart. Does that help?"

Does what help? But I do suspect your RAM is too small, and RAM is cheap. But I would also perhaps suggest reinstalling Office, or just Word if all you have is the Word part.

But the full answer could be buy a new PC.

Yes, your Highness.

I do think that Kevin is trying to help, in his own left-handed way.

Have you tried my suggestion? Merely a suggestion, you understand...

I think some see my name and don't bother to read what I said.

You realize that when you set them up like that, it's difficult for smart-alecks like me to bite our tongues... ?

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor Professor

Bolter1224 wrote:

How do you know so much about computers if you can't even understand what disintegration is? But, to answer your question, I would say, "It's when the document starts to act on its own or fall apart. Does that help?"

I think Kevin didn't understand what "decentagration" meant. To tell you the truth, I had to read it a couple of times before it dawned on me.

In any case, I'm a little unsure of what your problem really is...but it's hard to imagine how it could be the computer itself unless---as others have suggested---it is simply not up to handling your files. But the text file of even a very large book is not very big, so it may be that your word processor is corrupted in some way. Reinstaling it might be the first thing you want to try.

I did take the time to look the word up and as I suspected it does not exist. But if enough people take up the use of a word, it then becomes a real one.   Smiley Very Happy

Can I point out that these reply boxes have a spell checker?

I used to create very many complex pages on PCs that did not even have the modern computing power of a fridge, with few problems apart from slow saves, loads and refreshes.

I think my first 'PC' had 1k of RAM and no HD and had to be plugged in to a TV. Gosh.

If Disintegration means "the process of ceasing to have integrity as a single unit" then Discentagration would mean the process of ceasing to have integrity as one hundred units.

Smiley Happy

Besides picking on Lomas I kind of figured out how to remove formatting that I Don't want and put in the kind that I like. EVen if you don't believe it I did take Kevin's advice about moving the editors name. He really didn't specify where to put it but it ended up on the same page as the ISBN number. I hope this will be fine although I do feel that no matter how many times I reformat the book someone will find fault. So far? Not one complements. I have been working on the book non-stop for the last couple of days. I'll post a copy for more "help" later. Thanks for your time. KRB.CRC

https://app.box.com/s/3ds1yynfjvratozfpa8rijvdu0o3hqwx

Bolter1224 wrote:

Besides picking on Lomas I kind of figured out how to remove formatting that I Don't want and put in the kind that I like. EVen if you don't believe it I did take Kevin's advice about moving the editors name. He really didn't specify where to put it but it ended up on the same page as the ISBN number. I hope this will be fine although I do feel that no matter how many times I reformat the book someone will find fault. So far? Not one complements. I have been working on the book non-stop for the last couple of days. I'll post a copy for more "help" later. Thanks for your time. KRB.CRC

The copyright/ISBN page is where the names of editors, designers, cover artists, etc. are usually placed so you made the right decision!

R

Taking just the first paragraph, here are a few suggestions...

People needed to realize that when it first started out it was just kindof an innocent infatuation between a man and a teenage girl, who was just about to turn sweet sixteen all over again I have to agree that this is going to make readers scratch their heads. All her life she had been writing in her books. Outlining the chapters, doodling in the margins, and keeping note-pads filled with skits and poems written about different people, but mostly whimsical dream-like interpretations of her ongoing relationships with friends. Friends who were not really of this world. Growing up in the small town of Cherry Creek, Nevada, and Cameron Pantalero would have the holidays off from school. this sentence makes no sense It was a long bus ride into White Horse, located thirty miles to the south, just over the 6,241-foot mark I presume mean altitude: you should say so. White Horse Pass was located between the two towns. The only thing that brought them them? the towns? together was that long ride down the single-lane mountain highway known as Highway 6, or more affectionately by the young people who lived there, as the Hicks Sticks Highway 6. He who? the only person you have mentioned so far is the girl was the local shaman, known to the white folks only as Henry. Henry’s real name was never used because most people found him to be a little odd. why would this make people not want to use his real name?

Ron Miller wrote:

Taking just the first paragraph, here are a few suggestions...

People needed to realize that when it first started out it was just kindof an innocent infatuation between a man and a teenage girl, who was just about to turn sweet sixteen all over again I have to agree that this is going to make readers scratch their heads. All her life she had been writing in her books. Outlining the chapters, doodling in the margins, and keeping note-pads filled with skits and poems written about different people, but mostly whimsical dream-like interpretations of her ongoing relationships with friends. Friends who were not really of this world. Growing up in the small town of Cherry Creek, Nevada, and Cameron Pantalero would have the holidays off from school. this sentence makes no sense It was a long bus ride into White Horse, located thirty miles to the south, just over the 6,241-foot mark I presume mean altitude: you should say so. White Horse Pass was located between the two towns. The only thing that brought them them? the towns? together was that long ride down the single-lane mountain highway known as Highway 6, or more affectionately by the young people who lived there, as the Hicks Sticks Highway 6. He who? the only person you have mentioned so far is the girl was the local shaman, known to the white folks only as Henry. Henry’s real name was never used because most people found him to be a little odd. why would this make people not want to use his real name?

As a side note on those notes... If you take the word "and" out of the passage marked in red, it makes sense and introduces the girl.

Beginning at "He was the local shaman," there should be a new paragraph because the subject has changed from her to him.

If the sentence that begins "The only thing" is moved to the end of the selection, then the pronoun "them" would collectively mean Cameron and Henry, assuming that this was the intention. Better still, move the previous sentence ("It was a long bus ride...") as well.

Then you will have a paragraph introducing her, a paragraph introducing him, and a paragraph explaining the geography that separated them.

I hope that's helpful.

Kurt, if I may:

It seems as if you write in a "stream of consciousness" style, where you just let the words pour out as they come to you, from brain to fingers to page. It can be almost a kind of automatic writing, and it is a powerful and cathartic process.

That is an excellent way to get thoughts out of your head and onto paper.

Once those thoughts are on paper, however, the real work begins: Shaping those raw thoughts into paragraphs that someone else will easily understand -- someone who doesn't know you and doesn't share your background. This is a difficult skill.

One method I have found helpful is to let the thoughts grow cold. Set them aside for several weeks, and then come back and read them as if I had never seen the page before. Sometimes I imagine a specific person who I hope will read my book, and I try to see the words as that person would, asking myself, "Would X understand what I'm trying to say here?"

I find that this helps me refine my raw thoughts into a true story.

I hope that helps.

Bolter1224 wrote:

Besides picking on Lomas

That does seem to be your hobby, but my name is Kevin.

I kind of figured out how to remove formatting that I Don't want and put in the kind that I like. EVen if you don't believe it I did take Kevin's advice about moving the editors name.

Perhaps if you had taken mine and others' advice in the past you would not need to ask these questions?

He really didn't specify where to put it

No comment Smiley Very Happy

but it ended up on the same page as the ISBN number. I hope this will be fine although I do feel that no matter how many times I reformat the book someone will find fault.

One piece of advice we often give is to look inside books to see how the pages are formatted and what is on what page. Often editors are thanked on an acknowledgement page, if ever. And no offence to your's, but if you paid for the service I would expect a substantial discount for giving her a mention.

So far? Not one complements.

To be honest I have not even read your words. The first thing that gets noticed is the layout.

I have been working on the book non-stop for the last couple of days.

Couple of days? I have been working on my latest work for around three months, and I have not even started the first read-through yet. One of possibly dozensSmiley Frustrated

I'll post a copy for more "help" later. Thanks for your time. KRB.CRC

Skoob_Ym wrote:

Kurt, if I may:

It seems as if you write in a "stream of consciousness" style, where you just let the words pour out as they come to you, from brain to fingers to page. It can be almost a kind of automatic writing, and it is a powerful and cathartic process.

That is an excellent way to get thoughts out of your head and onto paper.

Once those thoughts are on paper, however, the real work begins: Shaping those raw thoughts into paragraphs that someone else will easily understand -- someone who doesn't know you and doesn't share your background. This is a difficult skill.

One method I have found helpful is to let the thoughts grow cold. Set them aside for several weeks, and then come back and read them as if I had never seen the page before. Sometimes I imagine a specific person who I hope will read my book, and I try to see the words as that person would, asking myself, "Would X understand what I'm trying to say here?"

I find that this helps me refine my raw thoughts into a true story.

I hope that helps.

I steam along writing what comes in to my head. Then the hard works starts. Making it make sense, and to readers who do not know the story, and also making it more interesting. More real.

I would've never noticed that. Thanks Ron.

Bolter1224 wrote:

I would've never noticed that. Thanks Ron.

I was glad to be of help. I feel compelled to point out that all of the things I mentioned are things an editor should have spottted.

R