Format of Asian name for author field

Hi,

I'm thinking of making my book available for globalREACH distribution but has a query about how my name should be written in the book.

I'm Asian and my name is in the "Lastname Firstname" format. However, in the requirements for distribution, it's stated that the author name should follow what's keyed into the Lulu Wizard to match the metadata provided. The Lulu Wizard uses the "Firstname Lastname" format.

I would prefer to use my original name format, but to ensure that the book meets the print book distribution requirements, does it mean I need to change all instances of my name (eg in title, copyright, about the author pages etc) to follow the "Firstname Lastname" format?

I've sent an email to Lulu Support a few days ago but have yet to receive any reply, so decided to drop a message in the user forum to see if anyone has encountered such an issue and have it answered.

Thank you.

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

northstar a écrit : 

I'm Asian and my name is in the "Lastname Firstname" format. However, in the requirements for distribution, it's stated that the author name should follow what's keyed into the Lulu Wizard to match the metadata provided. The Lulu Wizard uses the "Firstname Lastname" format. [...]  I would prefer to use my original name format,

I suppose you are talking about a book written in English.

if I were you, I'd write my surname in capital letters, and enter my name in the metadata as Forename SURNAME. Lulu will print it in this order on the spine.

Lulu will print it in the same order on the front cover. Erase it there when you are in the wizard.

Upload a front cover picture that will include your name in the proper Asian order SURNAME Forename. In this picture, you can even add your name written this way in logograms under your name in Latin characters. This sort of picture can be easily created with Adobe Photoshop.

PS I noticed many Chinese authors have their names entered in the correct Chinese order, e.g. Mao Tsedong. Conversely the Japanese names are generally given in the Western order, e.g. MISHIMA Yukio becomes Yukio Mishima.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I'm thinking of making my book available for globalREACH distribution but has a query about how my name should be written in the book.

Printed or ePub? They don't have the same rules.

I'm Asian and my name is in the "Lastname Firstname" format.

Really? I have never noticed that useage. The 'western' method is usually used, at least in print.

However, in the requirements for distribution, it's stated that the author name should follow what's keyed into the Lulu Wizard to match the metadata provided. The Lulu Wizard uses the "Firstname Lastname" format.

As far as I recall that only applies to ePubs. But the wizard uses whatever you type in to it, it does not know a last name from a first name, it's not that clever.

I would prefer to use my original name format, but to ensure that the book meets the print book distribution requirements, does it mean I need to change all instances of my name (eg in title, copyright, about the author pages etc) to follow the "Firstname Lastname" format?

I would not think so because I don't see why it matters, as long as you do it the same throughout.

• Glenn_LuluGlenn_Lulu Author Author

The first name and last name fields indicate the order in which your name will be presented when your book is viewed in the bookstore. You can enter your last name in the first name field if you would like.

If you intend to sell your book on sites other than Lulu.com, your name must appear in the same order on the book cover and title page as it is entered in the publishing wizard.

I hope this helps.

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher Teacher

That would make sense just typing it in the wizard in the order you want it to appear and lulu's cover wizard would print it that way. For example Dr. Ming Yang, Ming who writes chi kung books. Last name is Ming Yang. It would seem easy to just type it this way in the wizard.

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

Glenn_Lulu a écrit :

The first name and last name fields indicate the order in which your name will be presented when your book is viewed in the bookstore. You can enter your last name in the first name field if you would like.

If you intend to sell your book on sites other than Lulu.com, your name must appear in the same order on the book cover and title page as it is entered in the publishing wizard.

I hope this helps.

The wisest piece of advice!

Indeed, the last name is the surname in the West, but the personal name in the Far -East, and vice versa.

• Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes, Glenn has rightly pointed out the issue I was facing. I've followed the firstname and lastname fields when starting the Lulu project, and encountered the issue on the book product page where the author name was listed in the "firstname lastname" format. I wasn't sure I could enter my name as I would have wanted it to appear instead of following the fields without causing any problems later. I've made the changes to my project accordingly and purchased a proof copy to get my book ready for distribution.

This is my first English printed book with Lulu, and I believe I'll continue to work with Lulu, with such friendly support from the community. If you're interested to preview my book, you can find it at:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/koh-tin-peng/one-womans-solo-land-trip-visiting-5-southeast-asian-countries-in-6-weeks/paperback/product-22153223.html

Thank you and all the best to everyone :-)