Reusing book different title

One of my books has only sold 3 paperbacks and around 20 kindles. I was thinking of redoing under a different title and cover. Maybe even rewording a few things inside. Is this Ok to do? Actually the original title I wanted and cover. I used the present one because I thought it was more controversial and would atttract more attention.

Comments

• I'm not quite sure if it is ok though I knew few books that made some revision on the content but the title is the same.

• Richard_CoadyRichard_Coady Author Author

Covers change all the time, so I wouldn't worry about that.

There are also examples of books changing titles, for example if they get taken over by a different publisher or if they get published in a different country. I think you'll be OK doing this as long as your book's landing page clearly states 'Previously published as...'.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I am not sure if it is OK seeing as you have sold some, but you have sold so few I doubt anyone will notice any change unless previous buyers go on to buy the new title. They may be a bit dismayed.

It will need a new ISBN though because it's no longer the same book.

Even a new cover on the same book would need a fresh ISBN because those who wish to order a book with a specific cover will need the ISBN for the book with that cover on. But if the previous one is deleted/withdrawn that may not matter.

Read this >>   https://www.isbn-international.org/content/what-isbn

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher Teacher

I did a rather thorough revision of my "Caveman Apologetics."

I fixed some issues with the chapter order (I had accidentally skipped a chapter number or two); I increased the font size, and I made some changes to the white space balance. I also added a few bits of material here and there, improved the flow, re-organized the chapter order, and fixed typos. I changed the pseudonym from "Og the Caveman" to "Og Keep."

I republished it as the "Second Edition" with a new cover (Some excellent work by Maggie, of Custom-book-tique.com), and under a new ISBN (mine this time; I used Lulu's last time). In all, I'm very pleased with the results.

Anyone who bought the first edition now has a rare (though not necessarily valuable) First Edition. 

As an aside: I felt the second edition to be such an improvement over the first that I contacted the two people who had bought a First Edition and sent them a copy of the Second Edition for free, but that was just me. That would not be a normal business practice.

So, in short, Rick, I'd encourage you to revise your work as you see fit.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

As an aside: I felt the second edition to be such an improvement over the first that I contacted the two people who had bought a First Edition and sent them a copy of the Second Edition for free, but that was just me. That would not be a normal business practice.

That's cool. Well done  Smiley Happy

One would hope that normal publishing business practice would to be not to have to do such comprehensive edits, though, but with self publishing it's probably very common, or at least in the instances of some books, it should be.