Amazon Categories

I recently sent an email to Amazon asking to change the catagory of all my Fantasy books as they are listed there in Science Fiction which they obviously are not. I also gave them a list for each book showing the specific category tree that I would like each book in as well as the keywords I would like used as well. 

What they came back with is this,

"I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in this case.

I understand you'd like to update or change the categories and keywords for your books "Angels Blood", "NIghtclans" and "Wolfe Pack"

The information shown on your Amazon.com detail page was provided by your publisher through a different channel than Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). Unfortunately, we can't change information for books submitted outside of KDP and recommend you contact your publisher directly for assistance.

In order to get the categories and keywords updated for the book on Kindle store, please contact your publisher (Lulu.com) directly for assistance."

I have read here on the forums that others have successfully changed the categories by direct contact with Amazon since they have so many subcategories that are not available on Lulu. Not to mention that Lulu does not supply Amazon with keywords, so whats the deal?

Comments

• Amazon will only change the categories and key words for print books. Kindles on the other hand cannot be changed. I don't know why. I got the same email from them when I tried to change mine. Maybe lulu can update them if you contact them, I've not tried yet.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Sorry to say it but Science Fiction and Fantasy kind of tend to go together.

• I didn't realize that it was only for print books. I just sent through my first key word request today. No doubt it will be rejected.

It is difficult enough to find books even with keywords but it becomes needle in a haystack territory without them.

Oh well, I guess from now on I will publish direct to Kindle and then repeat the process on Lulu. Having keywords outweighs the advantages of being distributed to Kindle via Lulu.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

If you've formatted the e-version well enough it doesn't take long to load it to KDP after loading it to Lulu.

danielblue wrote:

I didn't realize that it was only for print books. I just sent through my first key word request today. No doubt it will be rejected.

It is difficult enough to find books even with keywords but it becomes needle in a haystack territory without them.

Oh well, I guess from now on I will publish direct to Kindle and then repeat the process on Lulu. Having keywords outweighs the advantages of being distributed to Kindle via Lulu.

• Sorry to say it but Science Fiction and Fantasy kind of tend to go together

Yes, that can be true. Some of my books are a mix of both so I am never sure what to class them as.  But you should be able to use both terms as Keywords on Lulu and you should be able to edit those. I am not sure if they are passed on to Amazon though, but I think they are.

• Docx files for uploading to Amazon make use of Word's own TOC creation tool. That's the main difference.

• When I first wrote Amazon they told me that the book had "no" keywords associated with it. So that means that the ones we added here didn't get sent through to Amazon. I think that the key words are more important than the catagories. Adding directly from Amazon kindle you can add them yourself. But like me I don't know how to format a kindle and they don't pay to paypal which I prefer. I think that we should suggest to lulu that they add "our' key words when they send the kindles through the portal if that's possible.

• Yes I am curious to see what Glenn has to say about how the package is sent to Amazon and if there is anything in the works to address the differences in category selection between Lulu and Amazon, it doesnt help any of us fantasy authors to have our books listed under the Science Fiction Category. The Keyword question is very important too.

• They are not actually sent to Amazon. Our ePubs are sent to some distributor who converts them, then sticks them on Amazon. Ingrams perhaps.

• An update for everyone who is following this thread. I have heard back from Lulu support and they have corrected the category listing from Lulu's end. Also once my books are available on the other distributors sites I have to then contact Lulu to ask them to attach search words, cheers all.

• I searched before posting a new thread and found this one one that's relevant to my question. This is one huge downside to publishing with Lulu. I like Lulu and still recommend my author friends to here, but having control over keywords and categories over on Amazon is HUGE for an indie author. I wanted to ask, is there anything in the works on Lulu's side that would give authors greater control over their categories and keywords with Amazon? Do we still have to email Lulu suppose to have our keywords updated?
  • I checked in with our distro team to get some info on this. The bottom line is, no matter what we send in terms of keywords, Amazon has the final decision about what to display and how to display it.
    We can update and resend keywords, but there's not guarantee Amazon will use them.
    One suggestion they did have was to try using an Amazon Central account to add keywords to your author profile on Amazon, which would filter down to your Amazon listings.
  • Thanks Paul! I'll try the Author Central thing. As far as Lulu, could the process maybe be made easier by adding a submit field for requesting updates to keywords to amazon? Just a thought. Also, any ideas on categories? I don't recall there even being an option to select which categories to submit for. I think Amazon allows up to 3 categories and my book is only showing up with 2 very general categories. 
    -Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
    -Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy

How would I go about moving those to more specific categories? Is there a feed or something Lulu can pull down from amazon that allows us to select amazon categories from here at Lulu? Because I can not change or update my categories from the Author Central page. And because I did not go through CreateSpace, I do not have access to all the categories? Would really help us indies over there on Amazon with the sell and ranking of our books. 
  • For categories, Amazon won't give us any control or input. I don't know if that's based on the way we structure metadata or if it's just one of those things Amazon does to limit us.

• That's interesting, Paul. I was starting to suspect that. Ps. Logged in easily enough using mobile.