can I offer a discount code?

Hi, I want to offer customers a reduced price if they have bought my ebook and then want to upgrade to the print version on Lulu. Can I give them a discount code to use when ordering, please? I have looked and all I can find is how to set a discount which applies to anyone buying it.

Thanks for any help,

Micki

Comments

• No, the system desn't currently allow us to set discount codes (although that may be changing soon).

In the meantime, you could include a direct link to a "direct link only" version of the print book that has a lower price.

• Thanks, that's really helpful. I have just done it. Is there a way generally of doing a new copy of an existing project without losing the original one? I just had to create a whole new one just for direct access as it changed the original one?

Thanks again,

Micki

• Is there a way generally of doing a new copy of an existing project without losing the original one? I just had to create a whole new one just for direct access as it changed the original one?

Not really because every Project and the files that make it up have unique item codes, and I am not even including an ISBN there.

So you have to create a new Project, as you have done by the sounds of it. But I think it has to have a new ISBN, if you use them, which needs to go on your Copyright page.

But, no, New Projects of the same book do not change other Projects, unless you did it via Revising that original Project by setting it to Direct.

•  

I've done this.

Create a new project. Make it 'Private'. Use exactly the same files - they'te already uploaded on Lulu, so just select them from the 'My files' tab.

When you've finished the process you can set the retail price and you'll see a URL that you can give out to people you want.

Only people with that URL can access the book and buy at the reduced price. It won't show up on searches or on your Lulu spotlight.

You don't need to change or do anything about the ISBN, use the same files you've already uploaded, as the book is private Lulu wizard won't ask for an ISBN.

If above is not clear, ask me to explain it better

• Does it not have to be 'Direct'? 'Private' means only you can see it, and only when logged on to your account.

If it's a new Project and you want an ISBN you have no choice but use the new one applied by the Wizard. But set at Direct or Private it does not really need one, and it will not offer one.

• Thank you for all your replies, really helpful. I created a new project and set it up as Direct Access. Seemed to work if a bit laborious!

• How does Direct Access work to provide discounts? I am contemplating the same issue about offering discount codes/prices.

• Using Direct Access allows you to set a different price (from the list price on your General Access version). Then you can provide the direct URL for the Direct Access book, and anyone buying this version will pay the lower price.