My Novel - I deleted the ISBN - Do I have to reupload again?

Hi guys

I erroneously deleted a copy of my uploaded novel.  I have it in draft at the moment while i work on it.  I had three copies one for hard copy the other paper back and the final was one i had put up two weeks ago.  My brother is better at IT so he added the two i mentioned above...Yesterday i thoudght to delete the one i had created.  in so doing i deleted the ISBN number.  I cannot find anywhere any info on adding an ISBN number when you already have uploaded the book. 

I also find the tagging confusing.  My book is a histriography based on a Caribbean island and its history.  It covers a plethora of themes, love, war, redcoats, family. kinship, romance, rape, success, finances, do i write these as tags?

When we write on the forum it says kudos...is this an icon we press when we agree to something?  I am an avid facebook user...so accustomed to the 'like' button - hence, am struggling a little with moving around lulu.com.

I hope you dont mind my ignorance.  I am getting better.  At the moment I feel like a sprat fish swimming in the ocean.

Have a fab Sunday afternoon.

I have been reading other posts and have found the answers to many most helpful in my own quest to publish.  At the moment i am only at the uploading stage, just learning about adobe and pdfs have been stuck several times over the past week.  I am aiming to be published y 15th February, 2014

I have many more questions but these are the most pressing.

Comments

• Seshat1972 a écrit :

Yesterday i thought to delete the one i had created.  in so doing i deleted the ISBN number.  I cannot find anywhere any info on adding an ISBN number when you already have uploaded the book. 

If you have three versions of your book, each should have its own ISBN.

This being said, I don't see how you can delete the ISBN of a book. Lulu prints it automatically on the back cover.

• Seshat1972 a écrit :

When we write on the forum it says kudos...is this an icon we press when we agree to something?  I am an avid facebook user...so accustomed to the 'like' button - hence, am struggling a little with moving around lulu.com.

If you like a post, you click on the star.

• Seshat1972 a écrit :

I also find the tagging confusing.  My book is a historiography based on a Caribbean island and its history.  It covers a plethora of themes, love, war, redcoats, family. kinship, romance, rape, success, finances, do i write these as tags?

Tagging is important because tags help search engines find a product, a book, etc. All the key themes of your book should be entered as tags. Specific tags are essential. I don't think "love", "war", "rape" in themselves are helpful, although strung together they could be. It all depends on the sophistication of the search engine. Conversely "redcoats" is a good tag because not so common, so is "kinship". If you have developed concepts in your book, they should be entered in your tag list. Local terms are good tags, too, because they are rare. For example "chabin" (creamy skinned Black) in Antilles French should not be left out from the list. In brief, terms with a high rate of recurrence are useless while rare terms as useful. On the other hand, it is not possible to eliminate all the general terms; for instance, you should keep "Caribbean". So you have to strike a balance between the general tags and the particular ones. It's not easy. Smiley Happy 

• Thank you ever so much. That helps me a lot.
  • Thank you this helps immensely. I now have a good clue. But at the end of say the discussions it asks your tags...so do I use the tags for the discussion or for my novel? These forums are brilliant I am learning so much. I hope in the future I will be able to help others as you have me. Once again thanks...I will do as suggested.
  • Just did. Thank you ever so much.
  • I think I only created one isbn number for one of the three. I think I may have to delete the other two because I have found a few amendments which meed to be completed before I accept a final version.

• Seshat1972 a écrit :
    But at the end of say the discussions it asks your tags...so do I use the tags for the discussion or for my novel?
    You are welcome.
    I was taking about the key words you have got to supply at the end of the publishing process along with a presentation of the book, and other compulsory pieces of information about it.
    In the forum, it may be useful to enter tags related to your topic. These are optional.

• Seshat1972 a écrit :
    I think I only created one isbn number for one of the three. I think I may have to delete the other two because I have found a few amendments which meed to be completed before I accept a final version.

Only the one with an ISBN can be distributed by Amazon and other retailers. Yes, retire the other two pending your final edition.

A 6x9 book can be published in three formats : (a) softcover (b) hardcover (c) hardcover with jacket. Each version needs an ISBN to be distributed by Amazon. This means you have got to run three different projects for the same book. In such a case, the best is to begin with the softcover version. Once all the typos and errors have been corrected (a long process), we let the book be distributed. Only then do we contemplate publishing it in other formats.

This of course needs to be modulated. Some start with a hardcover version then add a softcover one. Again, each has it own ISBN.

• potetjp wrote:

A 6x9 book can be published in three formats : (a) softcover (b) hardcover (c) hardcover with jacket. Each version needs an ISBN to be distributed by Amazon. This means you have got to run three different projects for the same book. In such a case, t

You can use the same text file, only thing to change is the ISBN on the copyright page.

What I do is the make the text into two files.

1) the title pages with ISBN - this just a few pages

2) The main body of the text.

So you can upload 2) and use it in all three projects, and upload three versions of 1) each withthe appropriate  ISBN. Now you have two files in your projecst. Creating a print ready file will stitch them together

• thank you.  As a result of all the above...I have now published my book and am so proud.  I am still proof reading it though...and have only opened it to general access for my friends to proof read.  I learnt to edit my cover and I must admit, it has been a long few weeks...but I feel I made the best choice using lulu.com.  Your advice has truly  helped me on the process.  I will be posting other questions as I get my head round the overall process.  I am not very good with technology so still am learning how to reply to posts on the discussion board relevantly...  Smiley Happy

(Now I am a little lost..can't seem to find the button to post this message to the forum,,,,Oh boy!  It might take me a week to work that out...There does not seem to be a 'post' button on reply.Smiley Sad

• General Access allows anyone to buy it from your Spotlight, not just your friends. And if you reapplied an ISBN to it then anyone in some retail place away from Lulu can also buy it.

Proofreading should be done before it's published in any manner. Before you upload the original file in fact.

• Thank you!!!
  • I think you are right.  They transfer it to the new version don;t they?

• No, if you mean an ISBN and New Project.

Each New Project has to have a new ISBN, whereas Revisions of the same Project do not.

You have to do everything to get published on Lulu. It's Self-Publishing Smiley Happy

• how did you delete it?  I have one and would like to remove it.

• how did you delete it?  I have one and would like to remove it.

You cannot, really. You can remove the book from Distribution to everywhere other than Lulu, but it will remain listed at those other sites possibly for ever, just impossible to buy. You can Withdraw or even Delete it, but it will still be listed at those other sites, also just impossible to buy.

Why do you want to get rid of it?