Mockups to display on selling site

When you are selling a book on Shopify (or Etsy), where are you getting your mockups from? It's hard to find the plastic coil LuLu uses for the spiral books. 

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Huh? Why not create a book and order a Proof?
  • Hi kat2174,

I would recommend ordering a proof copy and taking images of what you receive.
  • I have a lot of books to load here to sell on Etsy that I already sell on Amazon. Amazon loads the thumbnail and prints on their site. Etsy is a different animal and people there like more realistic and artistic photos of the products. The one that is hard to find a mockup of is the spiral bound. I'll keep searching! 
    I am still lost. Why a mock up of a product you are putting up to sell? Create the product,  buy it, and take photos of that. To be honest I would much prefer to see a Preview of a book, as shown here and at Amazon (etc.)
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    I am still lost. Why a mock up of a product you are putting up to sell? Create the product,  buy it, and take photos of that. To be honest I would much prefer to see a Preview of a book, as shown here and at Amazon (etc.)
    I agree. But Etsy is more visual arts, crafts, and clothing (I thought) so maybe we're missing something here.

But in any event, a photo of the real product is going to be more convincing than a mock-up of a book - and I can't think there'd be much cost difference. It seems like an odd thing to do.
  • I would be buying a lot of books. I have 100's of journals, planners, etc. I also sell posters I create. I wouldn't but all of them. I have mockups that I use to add the poster to a realistic wall so people can visualize what it might look like on their wall, without needing to have the actual poster in hand. For people that write books, it would make sense to purchase the book and photograph it. But when you have a lot of "low-content" books, it would cost a small fortune to purchase each one, in 3 cover styles, so you take a picture of it.  
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    Ah, gotcha. Journals and planners with blank pages, not books with words! :)
  • There are words, just not like a novel. More like helpful words with space for people to write in own words; guided books for tracking or planning things, bird watching, wine tasting, heath monitoring, coloring books, etc.  I started doing this because I could never find exactly the layout I was looking for and what began as something for myself has developed into a profitable hobby. I found the mockups I needed on mediamodifier, in case anyone else comes here looking for the same thing.
    I would be buying a lot of books. I have 100's of journals, planners, etc. I also sell posters I create. I wouldn't but all of them. I have mockups that I use to add the poster to a realistic wall so people can visualize what it might look like on their wall, without needing to have the actual poster in hand. For people that write books, it would make sense to purchase the book and photograph it. But when you have a lot of "low-content" books, it would cost a small fortune to purchase each one, in 3 cover styles, so you take a picture of it. 

Have you actually costed a sample out? I suspect one is not as expensive as you think. With Lulu you can create and order just one, then when you get orders you order more.

But are you not missing the point with how you can use this site, Lulu.com  ?  If you create here using the Wizards here you also get a Storefront.  Like so >   https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=424102   Potential buyers can look inside your book, read a description, then order it if they want. Then they pay Lulu for it, inc shipping, which Lulu's printers do, and Lulu hand you your share, depending on the profit you have set. So in other words, you do not have to take the orders, have them shipped to you, then you ship them to the buyer. Is Etsy not like ebay, but for hand crafted items?