Buy a ghostwritten book

Hi, question for everyone. I am looking to have a book ghostwritten. Any places where I can buy unpublished stories that have been ghostwritten or does anyone know if anyone has professionally written books to sell?

Comments

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

This is a pretty vague proposition. For one thing, I am not sure if you understand what "ghost writing" means. In the industry, it refers to someone who writes a book for another person, to be published under that other person's name. No one has pre-written "ghost" books or stories in the same way that there are premade book covers. You can have someone write a book for you, that is done all the time. In fact, many very well-known authors will have their names on books---especially series titles---that were in fact written by someone else. But there is always some sort of connection with the author whose name is on the cover. For instance, an "autobiography" of a celebrity will likely be written by someone else, or an entry in a series of novels may in fact have been written by another author. In both cases, the "author" will have had at least some input or control over the contents of the book.

I cannot think of a single example of where someone has simply bought a pre-existing book or story from someone else for no other reason than to put their own name on it. What is the point of doing something like that? Vanity? It'd be no different than buying a painting, putting your signature in the corner and telling everyone that you created it. 

Once upon a time, pre-internet, it was possible to buy 'business advice' guides on floppies, to print off and sell to one's heart's content. Needless to say, anyone could buy them to print off and to sell, and even sillier, the buyers of the guides could also buy the floppy too. Later, there was at least one site on line selling the publishing rights to 100s of books, fact and fiction. I have no idea where they got them from, they were not books I had seen or heard of before, but needless to say there was no exclusivity, so it has to be assumed that, very possibly, many many people bought the rights to sell them …  not that I ever saw them for sale, except for on that site.
  • I haven't seen the site you're talking about, but I suspect that the original poster wasn't talking just about obtaining publishing rights to a book, and the right to sell it, but about putting his name on it as the author.
  • I guess a person could engage Stephen King to write-for-hire, but that might be expensive. Or V.C. Andrews...
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Perhaps he wants a sequel to Casper?
  • I went to the ghostwriting site and picked one sample text at random. Here it is:

-----

She doesn’t mean for any of this to happen, at least not at the beginning. She was just lonely. Her new husband has just been so busy as of late that he barely has enough time spared to be with her. But then his father came, and he was just so nice and friendly that she can’t help falling for him instead. He’s just so handsome, muscular, and even more ripped, if only slightly older version of Aladdin. He looks so undeniable the moment he starts to change his garbs for nobleman attires. Their age difference is even not that far apart, if only by a few decades away. (The man must have been really young when he had Aladdin). She really doesn’t mean for it to go this far, until it does. And before she knows it, he’s inside her, in her thoughts and in her womb.

----

I have no idea what the "studio" charges, but I suspect that whatever it is, it's too much.

• What? Are you thinking "coincidence"?
    Very much so.

• "He looks so undeniable the moment he starts to change his garbs for nobleman attires."

Would someone diagram that sentence for me?
  • What? Are you thinking "coincidence"?
    Very much so.
    Gentlemen, I would be shocked that you could be so cynical ... Were it not for my own cynicism...
    "He looks so undeniable the moment he starts to change his garbs for nobleman attires."

That's the sort of stuff AI comes up with.
  • Skoob_ym said:
    I guess a person could engage Stephen King to write-for-hire, but that might be expensive. Or V.C. Andrews...
    I suppose you mean Andrew Neiderman, as He is the ghost writer  for VC Andrews who is actually a ghost now. 
    I once bought a ghost-written book. All that was in it was, Ooooo ooooooooo  Oooooooooo.