6 x 9 template -- set in stone or suggested?

I've downloaded the 6 x 9 template into WordPerfect. I want 10 point Century, while it has 9 point Times New Roman. Is that font set in stone? I cannot change that seeming default font, but a littIe further along I can add the Century 10 font which seems to take. Immediate question: Is that method of setting the font going to turn around and bite me? Larger question, does the Lulu template represent a minimum requirement of Lulu, a fence around the writing project, or is it more of a suggestion?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian
    I would suggest that you ditch the template and set up Word the way you want it. It is not that difficult. I usually just set page size, margins and font and that's it. I tried the template once, many years ago, and it just got in the way. Just remember to embed fonts when you create your PDF to upload to Lulu.
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher
    Rocky, I, too, have WordPerfect. I have created my own templates for the two formats  I use - US Trade 6 x 9" and Crown Quatro 7.44 x 9.68". My default font is Times New Roman 12pts. Now I only use 12pts for didactic books. I recently decided to replace it by 14pts for entertainment books.
  • Assuming you're not going for retail distribution, it's definitely a suggestion. As long as you embed your fonts in your PDF, just about anything goes. I know that retail distribution has more stringent requirements, and I can't speak to those, but I just printed some notebooks for myself that involved custom wingding-type fonts and smaller margins than suggested and they look fine.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Assuming you're not going for retail distribution, it's definitely a suggestion. As long as you embed your fonts in your PDF, just about anything goes.

There's a tradition, I guess it could be called, to use fonts very similar to TNR, because they are said to be the easiest to read, so 'anything goes' is pushing it a bit.

I know that retail distribution has more stringent requirements,

I think that the font restrictions are mainly to do with what Lulu's conversion Wizards can handle, but as you say, any font imbedded into a PDF should go through, whereas in a docx they will not often.

and I can't speak to those, but I just printed some notebooks for myself that involved custom wingding-type fonts and smaller margins than suggested and they look fine.

It's all a bit different with e-books though, because many e-readers can change the font and the size of it, but I have no idea if any font can be used through Lulu's e-book Wizards because I always use one of Lulu's 'standed' fonts, Garamond, at pnt 12 (larger than 12pnt TNR.) It's like TNR but with a few more twiddles.