Prices on packing slip?

porcupine8porcupine8 Reader Reader
I'm interested in using Lulu as a pseudo-drop shipper. That is, I list a book on another site, the customer orders a copy and pays me the retail price I choose, I enter the order into Lulu, pay the author price, and have it shipped direct to the customer.

My question is: When a customer receives their book, will the packing slip list how much I paid for it? Obviously a wholesale price is always going to be less than retail, that's how things work, but I have a feeling some customers would feel ripped off if they saw that I paid less than I charged them (even if it's only by a couple of dollars).

Comments

• MaggieMaggie Creator Creator
    They include a shipping form without a price. BUT, send a test copy to someone you know to be sure. The copies I've seen are the ones sent to myself.

• A_A_CainA_A_Cain Creator Oz Creator
    I'm interested in using Lulu as a pseudo-drop shipper. That is, I list a book on another site, the customer orders a copy and pays me the retail price I choose, I enter the order into Lulu, pay the author price, and have it shipped direct to the customer.

My question is: When a customer receives their book, will the packing slip list how much I paid for it? Obviously a wholesale price is always going to be less than retail, that's how things work, but I have a feeling some customers would feel ripped off if they saw that I paid less than I charged them (even if it's only by a couple of dollars).
    I'd have thought the cost of your extra administrative effort would hardly be worth it, because it's double handling (which always costs more). Also, what book list sites would offer a payment service without product attached? Sounds overly complicated to me.
  • Hi porcupine8,

I can confirm there will be no pricing information on the shipment summary within the box. None of your personal identifying information (name, card information, etc) will be listed on the packing slip.
  • porcupine8porcupine8 Reader Reader
    Thanks for the confirmation!

And to A.A. Cain - I'm actually planning to use it to sell notebooks with custom-designed covers and themed pages on Etsy, not on actual book listing sites. My designs appeal to a pretty niche market, who are easier to reach through marketplaces like Etsy.
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Creator Oz Creator
    And to A.A. Cain - I'm actually planning to use it to sell notebooks with custom-designed covers and themed pages on Etsy, not on actual book listing sites. My designs appeal to a pretty niche market, who are easier to reach through marketplaces like Etsy. 
    Gotcha :).  Does Etsy rip too much off the price?
  • porcupine8porcupine8 Reader Reader
    It's a 20c listing fee, plus a 5% transaction fee, plus Paypal's cut. So for a $15 notebook, all that adds up to about 11%. This is really more of a hobby than a business right now, so $3 profit per notebook is fine for me. If I were trying to make a living off of it - well, I probably shouldn't try to make a living off the stuff I sell on Etsy. :)
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius
    Does Etsy rip too much off the price?

It's usually retail outlets that take the greater share of the dosh.