Writers Block

Going through this. Its like all my inspiration has deserted me. No ideas coming especially for my fiction books. I used write three pages a day. Now i cannot write a paragraph.

Anyone else experience writers block?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian
    Absolutely. You need to kill it now, before it takes hold. I have had it last for years. Force yourself to write, anything. Try a different genre.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    What I suffer from is writer's fatigue. At times I cannot be bothered for months.
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    The consolation is you never lose the ability once you have it. I thought I had lost it, but I just remembered I wrote two children's books last summer and a poem for my father's book a month ago.

As oncewas says, sit and write. Pick any topic, any genre. Fill one page. The rest will flow. Write nonsense if you have to.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    edited July 21
    I find that it helps to back up and get a running start. Go two or three chapters back from your last line, and read what you've written, thinking about how well it expresses the idea that you started with. As you see the need, make small changes here or there. If you see the need, insert a line or even a paragraph to clarify what's going on. Often, by the time I hit the last line, I have the next two or three pages in mind.

Be careful not to write yourself into a corner. If you think you've written into a spot where you can't go back, delete the last three pages and try again from that point.

Insert a new element into the story. This can be a new subplot, a new character, or a new event. The couple is getting along well, and resolved all their mutual issues... but grandma's coming to visit. The spy has escaped and is about to cross the border to safety, when he sees that he is surrendered by Second Direktorate agents. The murder is about to be solved, but there's a new body to account for. The rescue ship is almost to the swimmers when they see dorsal fins in the water.

Or, as Maggie said, write something unrelated. I sometimes keep two or more projects in progress at the same time, and work on whichever one feels right at that moment.

Go see a movie. Go read a book by your favorite author -- preferably in the genre you're writing. Think of what you were doing when you had this book idea, and go do that thing again -- see if the activity speaks to you like it did the first time.

Hope those are helpful. Best of luck getting back into the saddle.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    I had writer's block prior to my operation but have just got out of hospital and suddenly am inspired to write again. I have written poems, letters. stories and accounts---- so wonderful was my treatment by the surgeons and staff at Lincoln Hospital. (And so many put down our wonderful National Health Service)I hope you too will start writing again. Good Luck.