Printing color/paper

WolffWolff USA Reader
edited July 12 in Photo Books & Calendars

I was using create space  for my book since 2012 but they basically went defunct with some kind of merger and I was unable to access my account any more, and then after 3 days of going around with them I learned they no longer just print books and I dont want their Amazon etc marketing package which is ALL they offer now.

So I thought I would try Lulu, my problem is my book is almost 300 pages and has a LOT of full color images in it, I was happy with the price and print quality was perfect on createspace, the photos literally looked better than the original 35 year old prints I used, but  Lulu seems to offer choices of paper and color quality that I don't remember having choices for on createspace, I priced my book 3 ways on the lulu web site, the first was standard color but on the better 80# coated paper, perfect bound, the quote and shipping was about $20, pretty much what I paid on createspace.

But I changed "standard color" to "premium color" and the cost per book shot up to $48 which makes my book totally unviable no matter how I look at it, especially since my price has been $35 with the postage, there's no way people are going to pay upwards of $60 for a paperback book!
My book is a very specialized book that is geared towards a very narrow niche interest group, this is not a book that would be marketable like a romance novel or home repair book so I sell them myself directly, mostly to clients of my work.

Here's a couple of pages from my book,  my question is- compared to whatever unknown paper weight and color sheme createspace might have used by default that I was happy with, how does that compare to the "standard color" on the heavier 80# coated paper lulu has?
I went with the better paper for a test print with the idea being it will help minimize show-through etc as every page after about page 130 has lots of images, while the rest  page 1-129 have a scattering of images and a lot of text.








Comments

  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    You've got too many variables here for much meaningful comment - an unknown paper type through Createspace, different products through Lulu, your own budget, plus your niche content.

    Keep in mind also that print quality will vary from printer to printer, regardless of the paper quality specified. That's probably a bigger variable you can't control and nobody else can comment on.

    I'd have thought you'd have to go with the quality you can afford, from whichever Lulu option you prefer and want to pay for.

    Comparing what's available to something that you can no longer get is a meaningless exercise, surely?


  • WolffWolff USA Reader
    edited July 12
    A_A_Cain said:
    You've got too many variables here for much meaningful comment - an unknown paper type through Createspace, different products through Lulu, your own budget, plus your niche content.

    Comparing what's available to something that you can no longer get is a meaningless exercise, surely?


    Well yes there are variables, but I thought someone out of the multitudes might have some idea what weight of paper and the color process CS used as a "standard default", and how that might compare to the 60# or 80# paper options here.
    As I know from experiance- a lot of heavy color is going to look different on thinner v/s thicker paper, coated v/s not coated, what I don't know is what default paper CS might have used- whether it was 60# 80# 100# or 20#, the paper weight is probably one of THE things that affects the final printing more than anything else, thin paper shows thru much easier, even possibly some bleed thru. The heavier paper as well as being coated helps mitigate that.

  • WolffWolff USA Reader
    A_A_Cain said:

    I'd have thought you'd have to go with the quality you can afford, from whichever Lulu option you prefer and want to pay for.


    I guess my earlier reply has to be "approved" now before it's visible, no idea why...
    As far as the above goes, that is true, a $48 print cost makes the book unviable, but if the standard color comes out horrible, that also makes it completely  unviable too, but for a different reason.
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    I guess the question is, is the Lulu standard paper quality any good? Have you ordered a proof? 300 pages in colour for $20 sounds like bargain city to me, but yes, $48 is a big ouch. 

    Intriguing subject matter though - are you a restoration expert?
  • WolffWolff USA Reader
    edited July 12
    A_A_Cain said:
    I guess the question is, is the Lulu standard paper quality any good? Have you ordered a proof? 300 pages in colour for $20 sounds like bargain city to me, but yes, $48 is a big ouch. 

    Intriguing subject matter though - are you a restoration expert?
    I have ordered one test copy 3 weeks ago, but several days later I was informed there was an unspecified error somewhere in the interior file, a couple more days passed before I accessed the mailbox that email came to, it was scheduled to arrive yesterday.
    So I had to redo the file, reup it and resubmit it, it shows "in production" but today is a holiday and to-morrow is Friday so I don't expect much to happen before Monday.

  • WolffWolff USA Reader
    edited July 12
    I'm not a restoration person, but I do sculpt my own works based on these pieces, most are used on new projects.
    I have a client who wants that blank space above his door filled, he wanted 4 Art Deco panels to go there.



  • Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin
    edited July 5
    Wolff said:
    I guess my earlier reply has to be "approved" now before it's visible, no idea why...
    Got nabbed by the spam filter, not entirely sure why...
    I verified your account, it won't happen again.
    The difference between Standard and Premium that likely impacts you the most would be the ink coverage and paper weight. If you have images that require a high level of ink coverage, the Standard Color will likely result in "wavy" pages.
    It is worth noting that, based purely on specifications, our Standard Color is comparable to the full color offering CS had. You're right about CS limiting choices, to my knowledge that don't dive into that level of customization for your work. It's just color or b&w.
    Unfortunately, the quality for your specific project will be very hard to tell without looking at prints using both specifications. That's my best suggestion; make a book with both the Standard and Premium color to see if our pricing and print quality will work for you.
    Last thing, the cover size. It's very unlikely a CS cover will convert perfectly. They universally use a lower paper weight than Lulu, so the spine is always narrower, through off the dimensions slightly.
    The specs 10.19" x 14.92" seem just about right for a 300 page 7x10, though they would be inverted of course. 10.19" would be the height + bleed, the 14.92" would be front+spine+back+bleed.
  • WolffWolff USA Reader
    Paul_Lulu said:
    Wolff said:
    I guess my earlier reply has to be "approved" now before it's visible, no idea why...
    Got nabbed by the spam filter, not entirely sure why...
    I verified your account, it won't happen again.
    The difference between Standard and Premium that likely impacts you the most would be the ink coverage and paper weight. If you have images that require a high level of ink coverage, the Standard Color will likely result in "wavy" pages.
    It is worth noting that, based purely on specifications, our Standard Color is comparable to the full color offering CS had. You're right about CS limiting choices, to my knowledge that don't dive into that level of customization for your work. It's just color or b&w.

    Thanks a lot Paul!
    I have ordered a copy to see, it is showing "in production" at the moment.
    That was what I remember about CS, it was just color OR B&W, with no grade choices.
    I am pleased that the hardcover is an option and I will be looking at that as well since I always had wanted to do hardcover and CS didn't offer it, though I "heard" one could special order it and pay a setup charge, but it was not cost effective to do that and I didn't.

    I don't sell lots of these books, but I want to order a bunch to have on hand once everything is set up right and so forth.
    I'm liking the nice, friendly  responses I've been getting from Lulu staff- Kristen M, Joseph, you as well.

Sign In or Register to comment.