illustrations

potetjppotetjp Teacher
edited June 19 in Author Workshop

As illustrated above, in the three volumes of my L'onirothèque de Quentin Cumber, in which I have simply recorded my dreams, I have inserted pictures unrelated to the contents of the dreams, but that do belong to the oniric field by their themes. Do you think it's a good idea? 
Tagged:

Comments

• A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    If they are thematically related to the dream content, I reckon that's a great idea. Images would add an extra layer to your dream descriptions - dreams (mine at least) being predominantly visual (and everyone's, I imagine, unique).

What a great idea. I kept a dream diary for several years in my late teens, but the writing then was very prosaic. My erotica taps in on the same psychic content, decades later, but is more a fantasy diary than a dream diary.
  • Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    I think that when you publish a dream diary, you have automatically ventured into uncharted waters, and thus anything which does not distract from the story is automatically acceptable.

That is to say, we expect dreams to be strange and even incomprehensible, thus the illustrations of such dreams would be as well.

I often suspect that I have dreamed an intriguing scene, but I seldom remember it on waking, and if I do, it usually fades before I can record it. One morning I woke up speaking the numbers 40, 70, and 122, as if it were vitally important that I remember them. As insane as it sounds, I actually tried dialing the numbers 407-0122 and 704-0122 to see if I was recalling an important phone number (both were out of service). (122-4070 and 122-7040 are not permissible in the North American Dialing Plan.)

To make a long story short: Use the illustrations.
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher
    A_A_Cain said:
    My erotica taps in on the same psychic content, decades later, but is more a fantasy diary than a dream diary.
    Erotica is inevitable in dreams. A former colleague of mine, now retired and an amateur psychoanalist, bought a volume, and was appalled at the number of things I wrote that, according to him, should always be kept secret. I told him he reminded me of the thought police from George ORWELL's 1984.
  • SeamusSeamus Creator
    In my novel I included this illustration of a character floating down a river on an inner tube experiencing an LSD trip
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher
    Skoob_ym said:
    I often suspect that I have dreamed an intriguing scene, but I seldom remember it on waking, and if I do, it usually fades before I can record it. 
    As I am becoming rather old (approaching 80), I make fewer and fewer dreams, and they quickly evaporate in the minutes that follow wake-up.
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    potetjp said:
    As I am becoming rather old (approaching 80), I make fewer and fewer dreams, and they quickly evaporate in the minutes that follow wake-up.
    Hmmm, not looking forward to that. I've always enjoyed a very rich (and strange) dream world. Coleridge's short piece on picking a flower in a strange and beautiful place always comes to mind.
    A_A_Cain said:
    potetjp said:
    Hmmm, not looking forward to that. I've always enjoyed a very rich (and strange) dream world. Coleridge's short piece on picking a flower in a strange and beautiful place always comes to mind.
    Those that I recall after waking usually have a vivid emotional aspect. Oddly, until recently I could never read in my dreams, and attempting to read any kind of writing would awaken me. But lately I find that I can dream that I have read a certain text and that it said a certain thing.

Or at least... I think I can...
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher
    Skoob_ym said:
    Oddly, until recently I could never read in my dreams, and attempting to read any kind of writing would awaken me. But lately I find that I can dream that I have read a certain text and that it said a certain thing.

I have never been able to remember what I read in dreams. On the other hand, I remember some sentences heard in French and some in foreign languages (English, Arabic, Tagalog). Once, in a dream, I was watching a TV program in which the Emperor and Empress of Japan were on the screen. Suddenly the Empress noticed something above the bottom margin of the screen. She looked horrified, and uttered a horrible shriek - she was terrorized by a sino-japanese character. Awake, I remembered it, and found it in Nelson's Japanese-English character dictionary: TAN "weak point, shortcoming", although this didn't tell me what weak point Her Majesty was so upset about.
    Since the Emperor and Empress were once believed to be divine, perhaps the very fact of having human shortcomings was terrifying. Or perhaps it reflects upon the fact that we all find ourselves at odds with our conscience from time to time -- even if we are Empresses.