two editions

Hi all, my recently published book ‘The Ray Hunters: Mila and Julieta’s Story,’ shows two paperback copies on Amazon, one says ‘unavailable,’ however, I have only ever approved this book ONCE for distribution. Amazon, in reply to my query, haven’t helped. They simply say that the available version can be found through search and is visible. The point is I have only ever approved this book ONCE for distribution and made no revisions or republication since distribution was granted. There has only ever been one publication with one ISBN. Other online sites, including Goodreads – who are committed to listing all published books, whether out of print or withdrawn from availability - show only one edition, because only ONE edition has ever been published. I’m hoping someone here might be able to help as Amazon seem to avoid the question. The ‘unavailable’ version that appears on Amazon has no ISBN attached, just an ASIN number which is B07S4GJ4BW. Thanks.

Comments

• A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    It's most likely a marketing ploy of some kind. It's like all the bookstores who say they have ten copies of my books available, when they're print on demand books. It's simply not true.

Here in Australia the bookstores don't mention any quantities but just state a shipping date, because that's the truth about the sale - they'll print a copy if someone buys a copy. We have a Trade Practices Act which says deceptive marketing behaviour is illegal, but it seems to me that other nations might be less rigorous. I'd not realised the extent of the practice until my books went into global distribution. If I counted up all the booksellers worldwide who say they have ten or even twenty copies available, I'd have sold several hundred books. The truth is I've sold several, but drop the hundred.

I personally wouldn't worry about it - if the "second" version is "unavailable," it can't be sold. It's much the same as the harvesting sites who claim they can provide free downloads if you "click here." Yeah, right, I'll just infect my computer with malware, shall I?
  • KeevesKeeves Author
    A friend and I self-published a book in 1979. When I go to Amazon, and enter my name in the Search box, that book comes up, with me and friend as the authors. It accurately reports the page count and "Second Edition - 1979". On the downside, there is "No Image Available", and "Unknown Binding". Also. "Out of Print--Limited Availability." 

It is obvious to me that Amazon does not have any copies, never had any copies, and the only possible way they could have even found out about this book was by downloading lists from the Library of Congress. And WHY did they do this? I don't think it was in hopes of my republishing it someday. More likely, their motive was the "Have one to sell? [Sell on Amazon]" button, in the event that one of my original customers might decide to sell their copy used.

In any case, I do think that the "Out of Print--Limited Availability" notice is somewhat deceptive. What's the difference between this sort of "Limited Availability" and "Not Available" at all? I guess Amazon really is hoping that one of the people who purchased one of the original 250 copies might someday sell it used.

Absolutely true story: One of those copies was purchased by my wife, several months before we ever met. She put her maiden name on the inside front cover, and we love showing it to the kids. Never ever gonna [Sell it on Amazon].    <3
  • marquesamarquesa Creator
    The point I'm making is that there has only ever been one ISBN attached to this book, yet Amazon shows two identical books, one available, one not. Only the available one has the ISBN. So, where has this 'unavailable' one come from. I certainly didn't publish two editions. Only paperback books with ISBN numbers can qualify for distribution, otherwise Amazon and other retail sites won't accept them.  
  • MaggieMaggie Creator
    Contact Lulu Support. They might have sent a draft version off to distribution. 

Or, it might just be a Reseller selling your book. You might even find your book for sale at $1000. It's been known to happen. You have no control over it.

• A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    marquesa said:
    The point I'm making is that there has only ever been one ISBN attached to this book, yet Amazon shows two identical books, one available, one not. Only the available one has the ISBN. So, where has this 'unavailable' one come from. I certainly didn't publish two editions. Only paperback books with ISBN numbers can qualify for distribution, otherwise Amazon and other retail sites won't accept them.  
    The fact that Amazon are showing a listing with no ISBN refutes that last statement though, doesn't it?

Since these bookstore listings are all computerised with no evidence of human intervention, they're not much different to bots trawling the web pulling content from all over the place. I run a website for an unrelated small business, and I've given up worrying about all of the junk sites my content ends up on - they all link back to my site, and as a consequence, with some word searches, I'm on the first page of Google. Consider it free advertising.

I don't think you'll get an explanation - Amazon might be harvesting their own site for content, who knows. Anyway, does it really matter? You're not losing sales because of the mystery edition, because it's "not available" (and never was).
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian

When I upload a book to Amazon the status shows as ‘pending’. Usually when I next look the status shows as ‘live’ but occasionally I will log in just as it is publishing, in which case the status shows as ‘publishing’. If I look for the title on Amazon while the book is publishing it will say that the book is out of stock. When it finishes the publishing process, the book shows as available for sale.

I think there must have been a glitch while your book was publishing and the process was reset, leaving the abandoned out of stock copy showing.

• marquesamarquesa Creator
    In the meantime, friends are messaging me saying that the paperback is unavailable as sometimes the available edition is only showing as an 'other formats' link next to the Kindle edition, whilst the unavailable edition is the only one visible without clicking on the link. If they don't notice the 'other formats' link they think it's unavailable as the ONLY ONE they can see is the UNAVAILABLE edition. I've also noticed that the 'look inside' facility on Amazon says that the text is from the Kindle edition as there is no 'look inside' content for the paperback, that is the available one, so I've had one person ask me if it's actually blank pages inside. Inspires confidence in buying the paperback, doesn't it?