Are some authors lazy?

Are some authors lazy when it comes to chapter headings, opting for a simple numbering system, or does it depend on the genre and the targeted age group?
I write fantasy fiction, a genre that I feel lends itself to a good chapter heading, one that entices the reader in and gives them a taste of what's to come.

Here are five of my favourites from a selection of my books:-
"The Death Sneeze"
"Bee Spit"
"A Fistful of Broken Bones"
"Corpse Skimming"
"A Hundred Slugs"

What are your favourites?

DM

Comments

• "A Hundred Slugs" - I'm really intrigued by what this chapter might contain. Without even knowing the context, just the idea of it stands out and makes me want to know what them slugs are up to.
    I think the mistake I see most with Chapter titles (and maybe why some authors avoid them) is that they seem like a mini-title or subtitle, but they're really not. The chapter title is a teaser and a guide for the contents of that chapter. Pretty different from a book title/subtitle.
  • SeamusSeamus Creator
    edited May 10
    I started pulling my favorite books off the shelf and thumbing through them for ideas on chapter headings. I found most were just numbered. My thoughts were, If Vonnegut and others didn't name their  chapters, I wasn't going to worry about it either. I like your's though, they are definitely enough to make me curious about what the chapter will hold.
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • Bolter1224Bolter1224 Creator
    edited May 11
    Here's my favorite book...https://app.box.com/s/q7elzh7w2s61agzjj3qafwmtu6e1ohl5
    Sell them garbage and only give the best
    Like A true indie author.

When amazon went under these books went off the market.
    I know I'm not alone in this.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

I certainly like David's examples very much!

For me, it depends on the book. I try to handle chapter titles in a way that contributes to the overall character of the book---it's ambiance if you will.

For instance, in “Velda,” which is a hard-boiled detective novel, the chapters are simply numbered: “Chapter One,” “Chapter Two,” etc., choosing to spell out the numbers in this case.

The “Company of Heroes” series is a fantasy/steampunk adventure. The chapters have brief titles that are descriptive/anticipatory: “Chapter One: Arrival,” “Chapter Two: The Villains Have Difficulties,” “Chapter Six: Flight.”

“The Iron Tempest” is a fantasy adventure set in Carolingian Europe. The chapter titles are meant to emulate the style of nineteenth century novels (including the use of capitalization for emphasis): “Chapter Three: In which Bradamant rescues her True Love---only, to her consternation and astonishment, to see him take flight,” “Chapter Seven: In which Bradamant meets a confused Princess and finds refuge, but not much Solace, among the Brothers of God.”