Buying your book to re-sell

Hi all,
First of all apologies for probably re-starting this discussion, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
I have just published my first (and probably last) book using Lulu. That's not a reflection on Lulu, by the way! It's not been approved yet as I'm still in the review process, but when it is I'd like to try to sell a few copies at my local post office, tourist information office or pub (it's a local history).
My question is - will I be able to buy, say, 20 copies from Lulu and then try to re-sell them myself. What about Lulu's commission? Is there any way I can buy the books at manufacturing cost + commission?
I believe I can mark the publication "private", but I would still like to sell the book to other outlets using Lulu.
Any help would be gratefully received, particularly if it's in words of one syllable!

Thanks,

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian
    You can order 20 copies. You can even order just one copy. Lulu doesn't take a commission; you just pay the manufacturing cost and postage. Lulu is not the publisher; you are. If you make the book private only you know the link to it so if you wanted others to be able to buy the book you would have to given them the link. If you want the book to be available through normal distribution channels it would need an ISBN and therefore could not be private.

Was that brief enough for you?
  • oncewas said:
    You can order 20 copies. You can even order just one copy. Lulu doesn't take a commission; you just pay the manufacturing cost and postage. Lulu is not the publisher; you are. If you make the book private only you know the link to it so if you wanted others to be able to buy the book you would have to given them the link. If you want the book to be available through normal distribution channels it would need an ISBN and therefore could not be private.

Was that brief enough for you?

In regards to having an ISBN, you can still set the access to "Private Access" in Lulu so that people cannot go on Lulu and purchase the content. You can still distribute the content through our retailers. If you want people to have the link from you to purchase the content, you would have to set the book to "Direct Access".
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Where's my reply gone?

I do recall that if you at first set a Project to anything but General, it will not let you have a Lulu ISBN, but once a Project is completed on General it can then be reset to either Direct or Private (which are what they are called within a Project) and with the settings they entail. I have just looked.
  • Hi Kevin,

Hm interesting. i didn't see a reply posted to this thread. I also checked our spam filter as well to make sure it didn't get caught by accident.

You are correct. You have to choose "Sell Everywhere" on the title step to get the option for an ISBN. However, on the "Review Project" step, you can select private access.
  • Thanks for your replies