same book title distributed as coil bound (lulu), perfect bound (Web), and as ebook

I have my book completed and in a .pdf file. I have my cover ready to upload as a .jpg. Except for a couple of questions, which I’ll get to, I have the back cover ready.

I want to make my book available on Lulu as coil bound, on the web as perfect bound, and also as an ebook. They would all have exactly the same name. I have learned from “Just Kevin” that I can indeed do this but I don’t see how.

To make this happen, I assume there must be a difference between a specific project and the title. How do I make the distinction?

Then, I further assume, I would upload each book, although it is essentially the same as to content, according to its project name. Only the back cover would be different, since the coil bound can’t have an ISBN.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you,

Grandtada 

Comments

• For the eBook and the Perfect-Bound, you will need two ISBNs (one for each). On the Copyright page of each version, you must have the ISBN in the text of that page.

You could do it like this on the copyright page:

" ISBN (print) : 978-xx-xxxxxxx-x
     ISBN (ebook) : 978-xx-xxxxxxx-x"

And that would work for both versions. You can allow the book wizard to put the ISBN on your back cover, or you can have it in your cover image.

For the spiral bound, I would make sure you do not list the ISBNs on the cover page -- if someone wants to order the spiral-bound, and they give a book store the perfect-bound ISBN, it will not be what they want.

Instead, for that edition, simply have "Available only through Lulu.com" on the copyright page, where the others have the ISBNs.

Alternatively, you could say:

" ISBN (print) : 978-xx-xxxxxxx-x
     ISBN (ebook) : 978-xx-xxxxxxx-x
    Spiral-bound available only at lulu.com"

And that would work for all three editions.

I hope that helps.
  • You are very much on the right track, but be sure to place the ISBNs on the copyright page.
  • Hi Grandtada,

When you go to your projects list, on the left hand side, you will see the option to "Start a Project".

Each version of the book will be a separate project. For the print books, you would choose the specifications for that title. 

We have many authors who include the differing factor in their project title in parentheses. For example a coil- bound version of their title would read "Title (Coil-Bound)" or "Title (Coil)".

• KeevesKeeves Author
    (1) Is there any way to have the exact same title for the three versions? I tried and couldn't figure out a way, so I included "(hardcover)" etc in the title. (2) If I put all three versions on the copyright page, including something like "Spiral-bound available only at Lulu.com", won't that upset Amazon and the others? I remember a rule about "no advertising", so my third line simply says "Spiral-bound (no ISBN)". Comments?
  • Hi Keeves,

You can have the exact same title for each. It may cause some confusion for customers if they do not view the product details.

You do not need to put all three versions on the copyright page. A lot of authors have an "other works" page in the content. It is recommended to not list the retailers that offer each of the books if you do decide to insert an "other works" page. Our retailers do not like advertising within the interior content.

• KeevesKeeves Author
    Thank you, Taylor. I find that if I do put all the versions on the copyright page, then I can use the same file for all the interiors, and that will be easier.

Glad to know that I really can give all of them the same title. I wonder why I thought not. I will have to try that next time. Thanks!
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Creator
    Keeves said:
    Thank you, Taylor. I find that if I do put all the versions on the copyright page, then I can use the same file for all the interiors, and that will be easier.

Glad to know that I really can give all of them the same title. I wonder why I thought not. I will have to try that next time. Thanks!
    Just remember that e-book is left justified, and take extra care to strip out styles that will upset the Lulu epub compiler - only Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, and Normal, and no page numbers. I got caught out with my first book on this - I've since found it easiest to compile the epub first, and then add in the WYSIWYG stuff for the print versions, like page numbers and your TOC.

NOTE: with a long book, I found the Lulu print pdf compiled with a different page count than the source docx, so you might need a dummy run to get your TOC right. 

The Lulu Cover Wizard is excellent - it tells you the exact cover dimensions (front, back and spine) once the print pdf is compiled, which makes the covers really simple to do.