Images with White Background and Cream Page Color

I'm interested in going with cream colored pages for my book however the images I want to include have a white background. Will this white be printed or will only the black portions be printed? I don't want the images to look like a white square around them/white parts inside. 

Comments

• Hi Pigeon,

Can you provide a screenshot of what you are referring to? It is a bit difficult to give an exact answer without a visual.
  • Something like this? I'm asking if the white areas will be printed as white or will only the black areas be printed. I want the picture to look like part of the page, not with white elements. Is this possible on cream paper or do I need to do white paper interior?
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Unfortunately the white will not be printed, it very rarely is in printing processes. So yes you will need to pick a book type that uses the very white paper.

• Oh I actually want the white not to be printed. I was concerned it would be printed and look weird on cream paper.
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian
    Your page will show cream borders and whatever is in your images. If there is white in your images that will be printed so white paper might be a better choice.
  • Hi Pigeon,

I did confirm with my print team and the white parts of the image will be the color of the paper.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Your page will show cream borders and whatever is in your images. If there is white in your images that will be printed so white paper might be a better choice.

The white will not be printed as such. The printing machine will just treat them as 'blank' areas and leave them be. Any white in the printed images is actually the paper 'showing through,' so if the paper is cream then the areas the printer does not print will be cream, or even red if the paper is red. One way I find to get around it when pasting an image  so that the background does not show through anywhere, is to use an off white so off white it's hard to tell it's not fully white. That way no cream will show though.