snow blind!

Well, I've just received the proof copy of my first pocketbook size novel and can say I'm not that impressed with the stark whiteness of the paper. It's a lot more dazzling than I'd hoped for. So, my first question is, why is pure white the only option for a book size that is most commonly used for fiction when off-white is the norm? Secondly, a stupid question it might seem, but I'm wondering if this is only applicable to Lulu's printers and that perhaps Amazon - when it appears there - they use a more subtle paper colour? (Answers on a cream colour postcard please)

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    But I like it. It's far better than the recycled grey (and often thin) sort of paper most mass-printed paperbacks have. It's also ideal when one has images on pages. But if you scroll right down Create there are cream options, but it limits other options.

As to POD books at Amazon, I have no idea. I have not bought my own books there!
  • I still think it looks odd. I searched my loft full of paperbacks and the only white paper one I could find was non-fiction. I don't suppose it matters too much as the vast majority of my readers use Kindle, but it seems strange to me that if fiction is printed on bright white that it should pass global distribution requirements?
  • Hi Marquesa,

Our retailers' use their own printers so it will not have the same type of paper that Lulu printers' use.
    I would suggest to create a case with our support team and provide images. We can pass along your feedback to our printer.
  • I will do that. However, if white paper is the only option for the pocketbook format, I can't see how it's a support team issue. They can't alter the paper colour, can they? If they can, hallelujah!
  • Hi Marquesa,

Since we have printers around the world, each printer sources paper products from different places due to cost, region, etc. This will inevitably case variation in the levels of "white" that a paper can appear.

Through the support case, our print team can verify that you received the correct product (I will be sending a follow up email requesting images of what you received).

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    That is a good point. Lulu always tries to have the books printed as close as possible to the ordering address. Now, unless one has friends around the world to order Proofs for you, then it's not possible to view all the potential output. My paperback Proofs are printed in the UK, and are always pristine white.