How to Set up a Special Offer

ScribblerScribbler Reader Reader
I am thinking of setting up a special offer to try to attract attention to an Ebook. I thought I might offer a reduced price to those buying between now and St Valentine's Day, possibly limiting it to the first 100 buyers, Is there a way I can do this?

Comments

• Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin
    You can do a couple of things to achieve this on Lulu:
    1. Reduce the price through a discount or just manually lower the price.
    2. Create a new version with the same files and set this version to 'Direct Access', with the price set to the discount. This would require that the buyer have the unique direct URL to purchase.
    Unfortunately, there's no way to set a purchase amount or timeframe for the price change. That would have to be done manually by watching sales and editing the price once the threshold was met.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius
    Beware of giving a discount on Lulu to anything with an ISBN that you have increased the price of, just to give the effect of a discount. The discounts only apply on Lulu and the higher price will show on all other sites.
  • ScribblerScribbler Reader Reader
    Thank you, Paul.
    I think I know to reduce the price, but that will not attract any attention, and it will not show up on my author spotlight or anywhere else. I wanted to try to link it to Valentine's Day.
    As for the second option, I don't see how I could do this as the last few times I checked, Lulu was refusing to accept and process new files. Also it would not have the result of publicizing the main book.
    How do I edit my author spotlight?

Just Kevin: Thanks, but I have never raised a price, so that is one problem I have not got.
  • Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin
    Scribbler said:
    Thank you, Paul.
    I think I know to reduce the price, but that will not attract any attention, and it will not show up on my author spotlight or anywhere else. I wanted to try to link it to Valentine's Day.
    As for the second option, I don't see how I could do this as the last few times I checked, Lulu was refusing to accept and process new files. Also it would not have the result of publicizing the main book.
    How do I edit my author spotlight?
    A discount will appear on the pricing (the original price is 'slashed' and the reduce price displayed next to it). As for the Author Spotlight, that's tricky to edit as it lists the books in order of most recently 'published.' Editing and completing a revision will bump a book to the front of the list, so that's one method to control it.
    Our ebook converter is failing to convert some Word files. Despite the number of issues noted in these forums, our data shows that the majority of files are still converting. You can also make a new file using the EPUB we converted for the original (saved under My Files).

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius
    Just Kevin: Thanks, but I have never raised a price, so that is one problem I have not got.

POD is expensive, but the same does not really apply to ebooks! But some people do think of a retail price that they want, then add 50% to it, just to deduct it back to the price they really want! Although the actual price that you want may be realistic (I don't know!) with some people even with the discount they offer their books is still generally too expensive. I am not saying yours is, I have no idea.