how many lines is normal on a 6 x 9 page?

I am using the Lulu 6 x 9 book template.
When I pasted the  word manuscript into the template the g original  150 page 8.5 x 11  document resulted in a 174  6x9  pages averaging 44 lines per page with an average of 10 words per line.  

Comparing this layout to commercial 6x9 book pages, I noticed they averaged 27 lines per page with about 10 words per line which is easier on the reader.

What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to reformat the original word document or can I adjust the space between the lines in the 6x9 lulu template to reduce the lines per page?

Thanks for your help 

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    I am using the Lulu 6 x 9 book template.
    When I pasted the  word manuscript into the template the g original  150 page 8.5 x 11  document

The original document's page size is irrelevant when only copying and pasting the text. But the 'Normal' paragraph setting my not be the same in both documents.

resulted in a 174  6x9  pages averaging 44 lines per page with an average of 10 words per line.

Well, you do not say what the line count was in your original document, so there's nothing for me to compare.  

Comparing this layout to commercial 6x9 book pages, I noticed they averaged 27 lines per page with about 10 words per line which is easier on the reader.

I don't know where you got that figure from, there's so many variables within books. I will take one of my A5s as an example. 38 lines per page. Average word count? Without counting the words on dozens of pages to get an average, I have no idea! But let's say 12 per line. Margins will of course have an effect on line and word per line count, as will font type and size.

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing really. You are not taking in to account that a template may not have the defaults that you require.

Do I have to reformat the original word document or can I adjust the space between the lines in the 6x9 lulu template to reduce the lines per page?

I would suggest a complete reformat, but it's not that hard. Change the 'Paragraph' defaults in the Normal 'Style' (listed in the Ribbon at the top in the Home tab, right click on it, then Modify.) Change font to 12 point Garamond. Change Line spacing to 1. Apply that to all the Bodytext you have pasted. See what results that has.

Thanks for your help