need help in using Lulu's 6 x9 book template

I have copied a manuscript into Lulu's 6x9 book template and would like to know if that template is formatting it correctly.  A snippet is attached below.

It seems that the text margins are 1/2 inch on either side but I have read elsewhere on this forum the left margin should include an extra space for  the "gutter"   

If  page 1 is on the  right side  of the opened book  shouldn't that page have a slightly large margin  to account for the left part of it in the binding?

Similarly shouldn't the body of text on the even numbered left side of the opened book have slightly different margins to account for the right side of those even numbered pages in the binding?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• TheJesusNinjaTheJesusNinja Teacher
    edited December 2018
    Those templates are setup to accommodate the needed settings. But after pasting your document you will probably need to go through it and adjust text here and there. Sometimes pasting can add the prior documents settings with it. And yes you are correct there should be slightly more space where the binding is for left or right pages. The template should account for that which is why I said you might need to adjust your text after pasting.
  • provlimaprovlima Writer
    edited December 2018
    thanks for your advice....is it  possible to adjust the needed margins on the odd pages together, and then do the same on the even pages 
  • If you are using Word then the Template should be already set up for right and left pages. If you then add a Gutter (which you should) it will know where to apply them.

It is possibly also set up in Sections. (Front Matter. Bodytext (where the story lives) then very often a Section for Back Matter.) That's to allow each Section to have its own set of Defaults. For example, only the Bodytext should have Headers, Footers and page numbers on. (Text outside of the margin.)

We always say that you should get to know all of the settings and how to change them, but by then you will have learned to create your own Template.  :)

• I've been using the Word template "straight out of the box" with no change to the gutter setting, and my results seem fine.

I did adjust tab stops, and I also removed the "Add space after paragraph" setting. Also, you should edit the embedded metadata ("file" "properties" "summary") and change the author name to prevent your document from appearing to have been written by Gordon Lightfoot.

There is a .35" gutter built in, but I don't change that. I have top and bottom margins at .75", outside at .75" and inside at .5"

Hope that helps.
  • I also have to ask how you know that 2,013 tears tears of happiness welled in your eyes when you saw your new grandson on January 26, but maybe I should leave that to your editor. For what it's worth, the writing seems to have a good level of craftsmanship on the sample shown.

The Aristotle citation is very appropriate.
  • For reference, these are the Document Settings for the 6x9 Word Template:

You can access those settings (on a Mac) from Format > Document. I don't have a Windows PC in front of me to check, but it should be a similar menu.
    If you set a gutter and check the 'Mirror Margins' box, Word will automatically set those margins correctly for the gutter.
  • I did adjust tab stops, and I also removed the "Add space after paragraph" setting. Also, you should edit the embedded metadata ("file" "properties" "summary") and change the author name to prevent your document from appearing to have been written by Gordon Lightfoot.

Not straight out of the box then?  :)

• at least a comma was used or it could have been 262013 tears.