We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

EPUB still wont upload

here is the error message I recieved

ERROR(RSC-005): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_003.xhtml(10,53): Error while parsing file 'element "div" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")'.
ERROR(RSC-005): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_041.xhtml(12,54): Error while parsing file 'element "div" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")'.
ERROR(RSC-005): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_042.xhtml(13,54): Error while parsing file 'element "div" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")'.
ERROR(RSC-007): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_003.xhtml(10,106): Referenced resource could not be found in the EPUB.
ERROR(RSC-007): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_041.xhtml(12,108): Referenced resource could not be found in the EPUB.
ERROR(RSC-007): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_042.xhtml(13,107): Referenced resource could not be found in the EPUB.
ERROR(RSC-007): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_044.xhtml(11,90): Referenced resource could not be found in the EPUB.

Tagged:

Comments

• The first series of errors indicates there is a closing element missing. In code, there always has to be an opening and closing element, for example:
    <div>Some text</div>
    This is complete code with an opening and closing element.
    <div>Some more text<di>
    This is incomplete as the closing element does not align with the opening (div vs. di).
  • The second series are referencing 'resources,' which often means an image.
    ERROR(RSC-007): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_003.xhtml(10,106): Referenced resource could not be found in the EPUB.
    In this error, (10,106) indicates the line,position of the error, so you should be able to access index_split_03 (the third file in your EPUB's folder) and find the resource reference point. From there, you need to either remove that reference or make certain that the file being referenced is in your EPUB's directories.

• Good grief! Please get that convertor sorted out by any means you can, so we can upload docx again!
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    I agree with .Kevin. I am about to publish another book in .January, but recent problems are offputting. I have published with Lulu for many years now and have mastered the publishing, but any problems and I must consider another option. The suggestions seem complicated to me. Why change something that worked perfectly okay?  
  • ERROR(RSC-005): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_003.xhtml(10,53): Error while parsing file 'element "div" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")

Tell me how to fix this..
  • HULSEY said:
    I agree with .Kevin. I am about to publish another book in .January, but recent problems are offputting. I have published with Lulu for many years now and have mastered the publishing, but any problems and I must consider another option. The suggestions seem complicated to me. Why change something that worked perfectly okay?  
    We haven't changed anything. Our converter is very old and has begun to experience glitches that cause some DOCX files to fail to convert. Note that this has impacted less than 1 in 5 files based on our tracking. So you may not have any problems.
    But we're working on completely replacing the converter with an up to date one that we can more easily manage and (ideally) will enable us to make the entire experience better.
    That just takes some time to test and implement.
  • ERROR(RSC-005): Deadly_Positions_-_Groove.epub/index_split_003.xhtml(10,53): Error while parsing file 'element "div" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text or element "a", "abbr", "acronym", "applet", "b", "bdo", "big", "br", "cite", "code", "del", "dfn", "em", "i", "iframe", "img", "ins", "kbd", "map", "noscript", "ns:svg", "object", "q", "samp", "script", "small", "span", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt" or "var" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")

Tell me how to fix this..
    I posted the solution above, I'll paste it below as well:
    Paul_Lulu said:
    The first series of errors indicates there is a closing element missing. In code, there always has to be an opening and closing element, for example:
    <div>Some text</div>
    This is complete code with an opening and closing element.
    <div>Some more text<di>
    This is incomplete as the closing element does not align with the opening (div vs. di).
    The elements are not properly tagged. I'm actually not sure how this would happen in an EPUB. If you are creating an EPUB because our DOCX conversion isn't working for you, then just directly converting from DOCX to EPUB in Calibre (or any other EPUB converter that I'm aware of) would not cause this.
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    Okay, Paul. Thanks for that.
  • Paul, I am converting it in Calibre, if that is not what's causing it how do I fix it. I see your previous message but I am not following. 
  • Paul, I am converting it in Calibre, if that is not what's causing it how do I fix it. I see your previous message but I am not following. 
    I just sent you a private message. I think I would need to see the file before I can offer any further advice